Will political correctness kill classic movies?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
No, they don't...

Please, all you appreciators of "modern," "classic" movies, once you actually understand classic film, then please, we will want to hear your newbie comments and musings...

This one probably believes that "if I like it, it's "classic" to me!"

LOL! at that!

It is sheer years yes, but so much more than that, only a body that didn't understand classic film would make the assertion "It's 30 years old, so therefore it is "classic."

I'm sorry Ian, but you have stumbled into the great dunderhead assertion: "Just because it's old, it's classic," you expose yourself here as an obvious newb...

Thx :rolleyes:
I insist on continuing to disagree. "Classic films" did not stop being made just because the calendar flipped to 1980.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
When was the last time you saw Tarzan or Al Jolson on TV?

I'm not a PC fan.

Fun fact: Russians LOVE Morricone :D

Seriously.

Among other things, about a decade ago, one of the most famous gangster flicks over there used Morricone music, as well as tunes by own Russian composers mimicking him

No, they don't...

Please, all you appreciators of "modern," "classic" movies, once you actually understand classic film, then please, we will want to hear your newbie comments and musings...

LOL! at that!

It is sheer years yes, but so much more than that, only a body that didn't understand classic film would make the assertion "It's 30 years old, so therefore it is "classic."

I'm sorry Ian, but you have stumbled into the great dunderhead assertion: "Just because it's old, it's classic," you expose yourself here as an obvious newb...

So, what do you count as "classics"? Mutes? lmao

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
No, they don't...

LOL! at that!

NO classic movie officianado will merely accept your definition of classic film as "of a certain age," again, you might study genuine classic film and find something to it beyond modern "classics" like "Pretty in Pink" with Molly Ringwald...

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is an instant classic.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I insist on continuing to disagree. "Classic films" did not stop being made just because the calendar flipped to 1980.
Wrong again...

Did "the Civil War" end just because the calendar flipped?

Was that what brought an end to the Civil War?

Time doesn't mean everything, as you are mistakenly associating time, how many years have passed as exclusive criteria for what is "classic."

Again, folks of this sort have bastardized the criteria for classic film so far out, I doubt they will ever really understand what makes a picture "classic" and what just doesn't.

It's not exactly some "emperical" quality or quantity Ian, every film made in the 30s, 40s and 50s was indeed a "classic" movie, we can use that criteria...

But the meat of the issue is not so much on absolute years sir, but of an era... an era of the film and production itself...

Those movies you might be thinking of, yes, they are of a certain set "age," but they are not from the "classic" era...

STOP putting "absolutes" and misguided "criteria" on these things, stop and learn and appreciate before you "parrot" such simplistic criteria and misunderstanding...

Thx :)

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Time doesn't mean everything, as you are mistakenly associating time, how many years have passed as exclusive criteria for what is "classic."
I said no such thing. There are plenty of films from the 80s, 70s, 60s, &c., that were not "classics." Many were just stupid. They're getting stupider, I think, but that has nothing to do with my criteria or yours.
[E]very film made in the 30s, 40s and 50s was indeed a "classic" movie, we can use that criteria...
No, they weren't. "Classic" is not determine by time, era, whatever.