Will Trump declare a national emergency?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
He could then take the money out of defense for his wall.

President Donald Trump is inclined to declare a national emergency to secure military funding for his long-promised southern border wall if talks between administration officials and top lawmakers from both parties continue to stall, a White House official told CNN on Saturday.

While not the administration's preferred plan, the use of emergency powers to fund the wall "provides a way out" amid a series of contentious meetings and disagreements among Department of Homeland Security officials and Democratic lawmakers over basic facts related to border security, the official said.

"I haven't done it. I may do it," Trump said. "We can call a national emergency and build it very quickly."

If a national emergency is declared to build the wall, the administration likely will face lawsuits questioning the legality of the move.

"The President's authority in this area is intended for wars and genuine national emergencies," Evan Hollander, communications director of the House Appropriations Committee, told CNN. "Asserting this authority to build a wasteful wall is legally dubious and would likely invite a court challenge."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/05/politics/trump-national-emergency-border-wall-shutdown/index.html

Jan 2014
south
He could then take the money out of defense for his wall.

President Donald Trump is inclined to declare a national emergency to secure military funding for his long-promised southern border wall if talks between administration officials and top lawmakers from both parties continue to stall, a White House official told CNN on Saturday.

While not the administration's preferred plan, the use of emergency powers to fund the wall "provides a way out" amid a series of contentious meetings and disagreements among Department of Homeland Security officials and Democratic lawmakers over basic facts related to border security, the official said.

"I haven't done it. I may do it," Trump said. "We can call a national emergency and build it very quickly."

If a national emergency is declared to build the wall, the administration likely will face lawsuits questioning the legality of the move.

"The President's authority in this area is intended for wars and genuine national emergencies," Evan Hollander, communications director of the House Appropriations Committee, told CNN. "Asserting this authority to build a wasteful wall is legally dubious and would likely invite a court challenge."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/05/politics/trump-national-emergency-border-wall-shutdown/index.html
of course he could do that. there will most assuredly be a court challenge and I suspect Trump would lose in the end.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Trump cannot get what he wants from Congress. That does not create an "emergency." He has no authorization to spend money on a wall; ergo, he may not do so.
It seems he could try to make the argument that "terrorists" are coming into the US therefore making it an emergency to build the wall. Interesting strategy. Will certain go to the courts.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Trump and his Cult still think that he is a King and can do whatever he wants. They are getting ready to have a sad awakening and learn the meaning of oversight and balance.
You have that much faith in the courts? Not sure I do.

Jul 2014
midwest
Trump is planning to address the nation on TV tomorrow night to make his case.

Then travel to the border later this week.

He's going all in...