Will Trump declare a national emergency?

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
He could then take the money out of defense for his wall.

President Donald Trump is inclined to declare a national emergency to secure military funding for his long-promised southern border wall if talks between administration officials and top lawmakers from both parties continue to stall, a White House official told CNN on Saturday.

While not the administration's preferred plan, the use of emergency powers to fund the wall "provides a way out" amid a series of contentious meetings and disagreements among Department of Homeland Security officials and Democratic lawmakers over basic facts related to border security, the official said.

"I haven't done it. I may do it," Trump said. "We can call a national emergency and build it very quickly."

If a national emergency is declared to build the wall, the administration likely will face lawsuits questioning the legality of the move.

"The President's authority in this area is intended for wars and genuine national emergencies," Evan Hollander, communications director of the House Appropriations Committee, told CNN. "Asserting this authority to build a wasteful wall is legally dubious and would likely invite a court challenge."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/05/politics/trump-national-emergency-border-wall-shutdown/index.html
Quotes a bureaucrat.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
At least we have someone who appears to be outside the government. Why don't we have quotes from 15 -20 people taking a position on the issue.
Why are we happy quoting ourselves and repeating canned talking points?

"Congress chose not to put any substantial — or really any — barriers on the president's ability to declare a national emergency," says Elizabeth Goitein, co-director of the Brennan Center for Justice's Liberty and National Security Program.
Elizabeth (Liza) Goitein

Jan 2014
south
2018 was a clue. 2020 will seal the deal. Drunk or not, the Republicans are fearing the 2020 election since the direction of Trump and the country is helping the Democrats, not the Republicans.
ah, be patient. time moves and so do ideas. less than two years to go. keep the faith.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
ah, be patient. time moves and so do ideas. less than two years to go. keep the faith.
Given that, like most Independents (40% of the voting public) that neither party represents my interests, I have little to no faith in either party. The best solution is to always vote against the incumbent until there is a person or party that does represent the best interests of the nation as a whole, not just partisan politics. This means the best solution for people like myself is to maintain balance in government; giving neither party a dominating majority.

The Republicans are worried, and they should be. I hope they force Trump out and put Pence in along with a decent VP (Rubio is my main pick) this year so they can get their act together for 2020.