Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Neither party is going extinct.

They will swing back and forth, lurch to the middle and sprint to the extreme occasionally. But that's about it.
Yeah. There is that.

The projection of the demise of the opposition party is a pretty routine exercise. Gives folks a chance to burn off some calories and vent/gloat when their team has some momentum. Remembering similar speculations led by Gingrich and Rove in past decades.

Jun 2018
Florida
Do even know what Affirmative Action is or does? I'm a white guy who works in a job that is strictly subject to AA requirements, and I've never felt anything was discriminatory. I've also hired people into similar positions.

-We have to post the job widely. We have to ask candidates we're interested in where they found the ad.
-We have to keep meticulous records of how we judge the candidates, according to predetermined criteria tied to the job advertisement.
-We have to show in those records why the people we interview are better qualified for the job than others whom we don't interview.
-We have to ask them all the same questions, though we can ask follow ups based on their answers.
-Candidates who apply are asked to fill out a card stating their ethnicity, sex, and veteran status. (I got those cards. I returned them if they came self-addressed, business reply.). They send that card to an office that keeps records about those things--an office that has nothing to do with the hiring process.
-If we find two applicants are relatively equally qualified, we're called on (but not required) to hire the person who would create greater diversity in our unit.

That's it. In my field, we have to beat the bushes to find qualified applicants who are not white, though females are an increasing share of the labor market.

If you think people who support Affirmative Action hate whites, then I hate myself. I'm easily the whitest guy I know.
I guess you hate yourself. So now that we've got you Affirmative Action life history, here's mine.

This is what happened to me years ago, when I applied for an assistantship at a Memphis State University graduate school. Only 8 assistantships were granted (all to Blacks). 17 others were denied (all non-blacks). Of the 17 people who were denied, were 3 Hispanics, 2 Asians, and 7 women. The 8 Blacks, I was told, were the lowest 8 academically, in that class (1977).

Assistantships are awesome. They cover tuitions, fees, books, and general subsistence costs. To lose an ssistantship is huge, I and most of the others who were denied, were forced to drop out of the graduate school. 5 years of college down the drain, followed by 40 years in the workplace with no connection to any college education.

In cases at Univ of Tennessee (Knoxville), Univ of Alabama, and Louisiana State U., I have heard of similar instances. Southern university liberals are overwhelmed with guilt (that they don't have) over slavery, and will do anything to avoid being called a racist.

Think this has changed today ? Not hardly. If anything it's intensified. Whites ( and other non-blacks) are still being discriminated against, with liberals acting like its all OK (as long as blacks are the beneficiaries, and whites are the victims)

Jan 2007
In case it needs to be said: I'm a middle-aged man on the cusp of being "a senior." IOW, I've reached an age where I sometimes wonder about the things I may live to see as well as those I may not. But there's one thing I'm reasonably sure I'll be around to see:

The death of the Republican party.

The decline has been underway for a long time, but really hit its stride with the arrival of the Tea Party. It has only accelerated since then, and has since gone into free fall with the rise of Donald Trump. Some Republican politicians, including Jeff Flake and Bob Corker, have obviously seen it. But most have not or simply choose not to recognize the disaster they've brought upon themselves.

Either way, reality is about to come crashing down on them....and all of us...as I have no doubt that the Mueller Investigation will, one way or the other, blow the lid off this Administration and its enablers in Congress and elsewhere. In the end, I believe there may actually be sufficient Republican support in the Senate to impeach Thug #1. But ultimately, it will be too little, too late.

Although the American public is said to have a notoriously short collective attention span, I don't believe Americans will forget this particular history lesson so soon. But shortly after we are free and clear of the risks associated with this unhinged abomination of a presidency, the rot that has been festering inside the Republican party for decades will kill its host.
Bring on the Venezuela economic model.

Jul 2013
Ohio
It's been said for a while that Republicans will lose their national strength and turn into a regional party.....holding the south and
the sparsely populated western states.
First post midterms Republican casualty: Sen Lamar Alexander (R-TN) has announced he will not seek reelection in 2020. Expect more
to bail just like the 40+ Republicans did before the 2018 midterms.

Jan 2007
I guess you hate yourself. So now that we've got you Affirmative Action life history, here's mine.

This is what happened to me years ago, when I applied for an assistantship at a Memphis State University graduate school. Only 8 assistantships were granted (all to Blacks). 17 others were denied (all non-blacks). Of the 17 people who were denied, were 3 Hispanics, 2 Asians, and 7 women. The 8 Blacks, I was told, were the lowest 8 academically, in that class (1977).

Assistantships are awesome. They cover tuitions, fees, books, and general subsistence costs. To lose an ssistantship is huge, I and most of the others who were denied, were forced to drop out of the graduate school. 5 years of college down the drain, followed by 40 years in the workplace with no connection to any college education.

In cases at Univ of Tennessee (Knoxville), Univ of Alabama, and Louisiana State U., I have heard of similar instances. Southern university liberals are overwhelmed with guilt (that they don't have) over slavery, and will do anything to avoid being called a racist.

Think this has changed today ? Not hardly. If anything it's intensified. Whites ( and other non-blacks) are still being discriminated against, with liberals acting like its all OK (as long as blacks are the beneficiaries, and whites are the victims)
Ditto that. Nephew went through scholarship discrimination to lesser academic students. Most just accept that as the new norm.

Jan 2007
Do even know what Affirmative Action is or does? I'm a white guy who works in a job that is strictly subject to AA requirements, and I've never felt anything was discriminatory. I've also hired people into similar positions.

-We have to post the job widely. We have to ask candidates we're interested in where they found the ad.
-We have to keep meticulous records of how we judge the candidates, according to predetermined criteria tied to the job advertisement.
-We have to show in those records why the people we interview are better qualified for the job than others whom we don't interview.
-We have to ask them all the same questions, though we can ask follow ups based on their answers.
-Candidates who apply are asked to fill out a card stating their ethnicity, sex, and veteran status. (I got those cards. I returned them if they came self-addressed, business reply.). They send that card to an office that keeps records about those things--an office that has nothing to do with the hiring process.
-If we find two applicants are relatively equally qualified, we're called on (but not required) to hire the person who would create greater diversity in our unit.

That's it. In my field, we have to beat the bushes to find qualified applicants who are not white, though females are an increasing share of the labor market.

If you think people who support Affirmative Action hate whites, then I hate myself. I'm easily the whitest guy I know.

Why not just let people compete based on merit?

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA

I can tell you that's simply not the case. Here's the thing--you have no idea why MSU made the decisions it made.
AA could have had a lot to do with that, or maybe rather little. Could be that whoever was in charge had a person desire to offer TAs and GAs to black students. In an area like Memphis, favoring black applicants kind of makes sense, since they had a rising black population of students, no?

What you've reported to us is rumor--you didn't have access to anyone file, and people tend to say things that are convenient to believe--and others tend to believe them. Go two or three rounds of that in a rumor mill and you get all sorts of misinformation. The fact is, if everyone did their job as they are legally and ethically required to, there's no way you could know who was well-qualified and who was not. Did you hear that from someone with direct knowledge of the applicants' files? If so, they were breaking the law. If not, you might as well have heard it from the guy at the next urinal. That's why I think you should cast at least some doubt on the rumors you heard.

Two observations: First, I'm an academic, and I got a TA that paid my tuition etc., through a Ph.D. program at an R1 that served a substantially minority state. Second, why didn't you apply to more grad programs?

Last edited:

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
Why not just let people compete based on merit?
The guidelines I just outlined to you rather clearly accomplish precisely that goal. The only time minority or gender (or veteran) status matters is when you have roughly equally qualified candidates. In the past, a hiring team might have made exactly the same sort of decision, but based on how comfortable they were with the applicant or how well they think the applicant would "fit in". That's the sort of thinking that unfairly penalizes minorities and women--but you'd call it merit?

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Bumping this thread just in case anyone would like to reconsider their vote.