William Barr emerges as Trumps choice for the next Attorney General

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Former Attorney General William Barr is President Trump’s top prospect to be nominated as attorney general, multiple people familiar with the discussions told The Washington Post.

Barr, 68, led the Justice Department (DOJ) from 1991-1993 under President George H.W. Bush and has the support of several White House officials, including a number of senior lawyers in the White House Counsel’s Office, according to the Post. The Post notes that the decision is not yet final and Trump could change his mind on the matter. Officials said an announcement could be made in the coming days.

Administration officials have said Barr would be a welcome choice of Republicans who admire his experience and by Democrats who could see his past tenure as evidence that he has no personal loyalty to Trump.

Former Attorney General William Barr is Trump’s leading contender for AG: report

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Former Attorney General William Barr is President Trump’s top prospect to be nominated as attorney general, multiple people familiar with the discussions told The Washington Post.

Barr, 68, led the Justice Department (DOJ) from 1991-1993 under President George H.W. Bush and has the support of several White House officials, including a number of senior lawyers in the White House Counsel’s Office, according to the Post. The Post notes that the decision is not yet final and Trump could change his mind on the matter. Officials said an announcement could be made in the coming days.

Administration officials have said Barr would be a welcome choice of Republicans who admire his experience and by Democrats who could see his past tenure as evidence that he has no personal loyalty to Trump.

Former Attorney General William Barr is Trump’s leading contender for AG: report
If true, that's about the best we can hope to expect. I mean, it's not like Trump is going to emulate Obama and Clinton and put a big-name member of the opposite party into a position of great power within his administration. He's going to stick with Republicans. So, the best we can hope for is a Republican with ample experience in similar roles, who hasn't given us any reason to think he's part of the Trump Swamp.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
If true, that's about the best we can hope to expect. I mean, it's not like Trump is going to emulate Obama and Clinton and put a big-name member of the opposite party into a position of great power within his administration. He's going to stick with Republicans. So, the best we can hope for is a Republican with ample experience in similar roles, who hasn't given us any reason to think he's part of the Trump Swamp.
I wonder if this wasnt thrust upon him? The media is making it sound like staffers want this guy but Trump had someone else in mind. I cant imagine Trump randomly selecting this guy? But establishment republicans would want this especially now since the optics are good since he worked under the GHW Bush admin.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
I wonder if this wasnt thrust upon him? The media is making it sound like staffers want this guy but Trump had someone else in mind. I cant imagine Trump randomly selecting this guy? But establishment republicans would want this especially now since the optics are good since he worked under the GHW Bush admin.
It's quite possible it was horse-traded, behind the scenes, by someone like Mitch McConnell. Something like: "here's a short list of people you can choose from, Donnie -- otherwise, I get out of the way and let the Democrats push through the law they want to shelter Mueller from you."

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
It's quite possible it was horse-traded, behind the scenes, by someone like Mitch McConnell. Something like: "here's a short list of people you can choose from, Donnie -- otherwise, I get out of the way and let the Democrats push through the law they want to shelter Mueller from you."
I have to think with 2020 looming thats how things are working out. Trump may be forced to play their game more than he likes in order to survive until then. McConnell is many things but he knows the ugly belly of politics and I wouldnt put it past him to had done exactly that. I also think after these past midterms, the GOP is looking to poise itself as appearing better to the public. Going with a well known establishment republican instead of keeping Whittacker or Chris Christie makes the optics at least more normal. He also must be confirmed and McConnell holds the cards there.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
I have to think with 2020 looming thats how things are working out. Trump may be forced to play their game more than he likes in order to survive until then. McConnell is many things but he knows the ugly belly of politics and I wouldnt put it past him to had done exactly that. I also think after these past midterms, the GOP is looking to poise itself as appearing better to the public. Going with a well known establishment republican instead of keeping Whittacker or Chris Christie makes the optics at least more normal. He also must be confirmed and McConnell holds the cards there.
Given Trump's absolutely huge --and absurdly delicate-- ego, the only way deals like that will work is if we never hear about them. Trump needs to be left to at least pretend to the public that everything is his idea. I'm betting guys like McConnell are smart enough to know that, and are going to make sure the rest of us don't find out about the horse heads they're leaving in Trump's bed.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Seems like a far better choice than either Whitaker or Sessions (who did a lot of damage to civil right's while he was the head of the DOJ)

May 2016
california
The game called congress will produce a lot of show for sure but what real difference does it make?