With ironic respect. Should we thank God that religionists are such hypocrites?

Feb 2011
Ever changing
With ironic respect. Should we thank God that religionists are such hypocrites?

The religions that offer a supernatural God are basically authoritarian religions with tyrannical Gods.

They are quite divisive and if Christians and Muslims do not do things just right, they get to burn forever in in a purposeless hell. Yahweh and Allah are mean demiurges.

https://vimeo.com/7038401

In terms of following their religions to the letter, I see both Christians and Muslims as being quite hypocritical and I thank all the Gods for that.

If Christians and Muslims did live by the barbaric ideals their religions and Gods wanted, the inquisitions and jihads would force the rest of us to eliminate those fouls religions for reasons of self-defence.

Let us thank all the good Gods that Christians and Muslims do not practice their religions and are such hypocrites. Let us thank all the Gods that Christians and Muslims are moral enough to be hypocrites and only give lip service to their vile religious ideologies and imaginary Gods.

How many Christians are hypocrites? This link says the vast majority right at the beginning of the link, and I would say that the same number applies to Muslims even though their mosque attendance is higher than the Christian one due to culture more than religion.

Jesus for the non religious - Retired bishop John Spong on religion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUmKEH9jnu8

Regards
DL
The Holy Bible is a doctrine by which Christians should live.The Bible is meant for all who would listen and believe. The brotherhood it speaks of is not between a Christian and non-believers, but a brotherhood of Christians. I never understood why people are so upset with the Bible. It really is full of admonitions for the believers. Hypocrisy is one of God's most despised acts. It appears often in the text of the Bible as a admonition. Jesus is about love and forgiveness. But all must remember that God is our Father. A good father loves his children but he usually punishes and then forgives. If we repent and ask for forgiveness does not mean will we necessarily go unpunished. Per the Doctrine of the Bible. All fall short of the glory of God. Though a hypocrite, one can seek forgiveness As far as the fate of Christians or Muslims, only God knows. Every person on the place of this planet could say that God is a myth. Would that make it true? In what manner would that change God? I have said this before. God requires faith for he is not presented as a definitive fact in the Bible. The Bible itself instructs us to have faith in God. For if God were a fact, who would not believe? Except perhaps the insane. But God makes allowances.

To me the most important aspect of the Christian religion is free will. According to the Bible God granted us all free will. Free to chose whether or not we believe. Free to make good choices or bad. All that God asks in return is that we return our free will and let him lead us to salvation. You see, salvation lies with us first. Our choice to believe or not. If you do not believe in Christianity then all of this is moot. The only question will be from whom shall you seek salvation other than yourself? For Atheists see their future as a hole in the ground or whatever vessel they choose. That is where it ends.

The question of God's existence is at this point with all that we have(to those without faith)is a 50/50 chance. Which side of the coin shall you choose to land on? Free will.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
The Holy Bible is a doctrine by which Christians should live.The Bible is meant for all who would listen and believe. The brotherhood it speaks of is not between a Christian and non-believers, but a brotherhood of Christians. I never understood why people are so upset with the Bible. It really is full of admonitions for the believers. Hypocrisy is one of God's most despised acts. It appears often in the text of the Bible as a admonition. Jesus is about love and forgiveness. But all must remember that God is our Father. A good father loves his children but he usually punishes and then forgives. If we repent and ask for forgiveness does not mean will we necessarily go unpunished. Per the Doctrine of the Bible. All fall short of the glory of God. Though a hypocrite, one can seek forgiveness As far as the fate of Christians or Muslims, only God knows. Every person on the place of this planet could say that God is a myth. Would that make it true? In what manner would that change God? I have said this before. God requires faith for he is not presented as a definitive fact in the Bible. The Bible itself instructs us to have faith in God. For if God were a fact, who would not believe? Except perhaps the insane. But God makes allowances.

To me the most important aspect of the Christian religion is free will. According to the Bible God granted us all free will. Free to chose whether or not we believe. Free to make good choices or bad. All that God asks in return is that we return our free will and let him lead us to salvation. You see, salvation lies with us first. Our choice to believe or not. If you do not believe in Christianity then all of this is moot. The only question will be from whom shall you seek salvation other than yourself? For Atheists see their future as a hole in the ground or whatever vessel they choose. That is where it ends.

The question of God's existence is at this point with all that we have(to those without faith)is a 50/50 chance. Which side of the coin shall you choose to land on? Free will.

>>>>>>>>>The point.

You​

Oct 2018
Forgive me, I don't get your point. Over my head? Enlighten this poor soul.

Yes, because you fail to make any sense whatsoever. First, you argue that, as a Xian, as long as you believe in Jesus, all your sins will be forgiven. Basically, you're talking about a get-into-heaven-free-no-matter-what card. What's more....only Xians have this special membership card, no one else. LOL.

Then you say: "To me the most important aspect of the Christian religion is free will."

But you can't have it both ways, can you? God can't give you free will and then not hold you accountable for your sins. Otherwise, what would be the point of following the Bible at all? So what if you've got it all wrong? I imagine when you die, Satan must jump out from behind St. Peter with a big sign that reads: "Too Bad. You're Going To Hell Anyway."

Dec 2014
Opal mining
I hear you. Morals seem to be the last thing on the mind of idol worshipers.

Being the most insecure animal on the planet, security and power seem to be what we want as well and to hell with our morals.

Regards
DL

Well, the moral code evinced by ancient texts is primitive owing to the nature of the societies that produced them. The Greek myths are riddled with petty jealousies, fits of rage and quite poor behaviour almost universally. It has been posited that the gods were constructed in such a way as to provide lessons in unacceptable behaviour, but I think at times that's quite a stretch, as the culture clearly treated these gods with respect. Whether or not that respect was borne of fear or admiration is difficult to ascertain and it would merely create a generalisation based upon unknown factors if we were to hypothesise on the subject.

When religions began to evolve away from a pantheon of anthropomorphic gods connected to seasons, harvests and abstract emotions into monotheistic concepts, we find a new trend of intolerance toward previous, or alien faiths (Akhenaton tried to erase the Egyptian pantheon and forced the worship of Aten upon the people), which later culminated in waves of extreme violence and purges (cf. the purges Christians waged against pagans during the time of Theodosius I etc.). The mediaeval period saw Christianity and Islam rise to new heights of persecution and barbarity ~ all in the name of God (the Roman persecutions of Christians have been inflated and were brought upon themselves owing to the belief that Jesus would return soon, so they could ignore the prescriptions of the state). Yet the adherents of Christianity believed they were performing God's work, so that justified their extremism, and they continued to devise the most cruel methods of execution they could invent.

Science and the printing press began to erode the hegemony of the Church, and morality slowly became independent of these primitive superstitions and developed along concepts of equity and tolerance ~ concepts, although espoused within the writings of the sayings of Jesus, they were rarely employed.

Now we have shed the constraints of a primitive moral code as a society (the western culture), there are still those that possess the primitive mindset of moral restraint based upon fear of punishment (I must be good or I'll go to Hell), or those who will forgo any moral code in order to promote the faith (extreme fundamentalism). All the Abrahamic faiths elevate a branch of religion above all others, and this can provide justification for the most immoral acts one can conceive (e.g. 9/11). How does the adherent justify such atrocities when the faith clearly promotes otherwise? Simply because God will reward them for doing God's work.

I seem to have digressed from your point somewhat, but to put it simply, when one believes one's faith is the only true faith, and one is predisposed to promoting one's faith with violence, one can justify the worst of acts toward others because God will either forgive that individual, or God will reward that individual.

Therefore, morality is mutable when one has God on his or her side.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Children let fear guide them.
Mature adults let their morals rule them.

Cowards can never be moral.

Regards
DL
So the champion against religion speaks in binary truisms. The irony should be apparent.

"Cowards can never be moral." flaccidly illogical.

I have known a hundred people, at the very least, who grew out of their cowardice and built a moral center that served them and others quite well.

Enlightened religion assumes growth, expects transformation and rises to challenges of becoming more and doing more. No fear required. Faith matters.

Written by an enlightened atheist who is my philosophical brother.

Last edited:

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Another enlightened atheist trying to understand religion.

Joss Wheadon's Reverend is a sympathetic character portrayed honestly.

I don't think he would recognize any truth in your caricature of religion.

Oct 2018
So the champion against religion speaks in binary truisms. The irony should be apparent.

"Cowards can never be moral." flaccidly illogical.

I have known a hundred people, at the very least, who grew out of their cowardice and built a moral center that served them and others quite well. ... Written by an enlightened atheist who is my philosophical brother.

Were they all fictional TV characters as well?