Woman Kills Intruder In Her Home

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Woman shoots, kills escaped inmate after he kicks down her door

“The victim was trapped in her home, in her bedroom,” Clark said. “[She] was in fear for her life, she used lethal force to protect herself.”

McLaughlin picked up a knife sharpening tool inside the woman’s kitchen and walked to the woman’s bedroom, Clark said. She fired one shot, striking McLaughlin in the head. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
This isn't a good-guy-with-a-gun story. In fact I think those stories are flawed with any respect to the gun debate as it puts us all in a position to be armed 24/7.

But this story is a good example of why many feel the 'need' to own a gun.

It's not all about gun nuts.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Woman shoots, kills escaped inmate after he kicks down her door

This isn't a good-guy-with-a-gun story. In fact I think those stories are flawed with any respect to the gun debate as it puts us all in a position to be armed 24/7.

But this story is a good example of why many feel the 'need' to own a gun.

It's not all about gun nuts.
I own a gun. In fact, I own two. But if someone is thinking of buying a gun with the hope it will make them safer thanks to scenarios like this one, I'd caution them to check the stats. The simple fact is, people are MORE likely to die violently if they have a gun in the home than if they don't. Whatever added security there may be from these rare occasions of successful use in scenarios that would possibly have ended badly for the homeowner if not for the gun, it appears that's more than offset by added risk to household members from accidental shootings, domestic violence, suicide, or having the gun used against them by a home invader.

The pro-gun crowd doesn't publicize scenarios like this much, but they're not uncommon:

Indy teen killed by family member after being mistaken for intruder
Man cleaning gun accidentally shoots and kills wife

Jan 2007
Wonder how many are in accidents or die by use of cell phones while driving? How many can function without a cell phone embedded to their body?

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Wonder how many are in accidents or die by use of cell phones while driving? How many can function without a cell phone embedded to their body?
Why do people keep trying to make comparisons to things like cars and cell phones?

Guns only serve two purposes. To kill someone or hunt.

I could post dozens of stories of kids killed by guns in their homes. Or women killed by the husband with guns.

Jan 2007
Why do people keep trying to make comparisons to things like cars and cell phones?

Guns only serve two purposes. To kill someone or hunt.

I could post dozens of stories of kids killed by guns in their homes. Or women killed by the husband with guns.
Death by stupidity is just as dead whether by gun or by worshiping your phone. It's the stupid use of the product that matters. Guns and phones don't kill. The person using it does.

You obviously are clueless about gun use. Skeet, traps, sporting clays, IPSC, bench rest, plinking, target shooting. etc.

Will you ever recognize death by electricity, drownings, machinery accidents, etc. Guns are not for everybody.

General Cell Phone Statistics. The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while drivingleads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I own a gun. In fact, I own two. But if someone is thinking of buying a gun with the hope it will make them safer thanks to scenarios like this one, I'd caution them to check the stats. The simple fact is, people are MORE likely to die violently if they have a gun in the home than if they don't. Whatever added security there may be from these rare occasions of successful use in scenarios that would possibly have ended badly for the homeowner if not for the gun, it appears that's more than offset by added risk to household members from accidental shootings, domestic violence, suicide, or having the gun used against them by a home invader.

The pro-gun crowd doesn't publicize scenarios like this much, but they're not uncommon:

Indy teen killed by family member after being mistaken for intruder
Man cleaning gun accidentally shoots and kills wife
While what you say is accurate as far as it goes, it makes little sense to restrict my right to own a gun for defense of self or others based on other people being stupid.

Jan 2007
General Cell Phone Statistics
  • The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
  • Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
  • 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
  • Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
  • Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
  • Texting while driving causes a 400 percent increase in time spent with eyes off the road.
  • Of all cell phone related tasks, texting is by far the most dangerous activity.
  • 94 percent of drivers support a ban on texting while driving.
  • 74 percent of drivers support a ban on hand-held cell phone use.
Teen Driver Cell Phone Statistics
  • According to a AAA poll, 94 percent of teen drivers acknowledge the dangers of texting and driving, but 35% admitted to doing it anyway.
  • 21 percent of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones.
  • Teen drivers are 4x more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near-crashes when talking or texting on a cell phone.
  • A teen driver with only one additional passenger doubles the risk of getting into a fatal car accident. With two or more passengers, they are 5x as likely.
https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cell-phone-statistics.html
A Personal Injury Law Firm Representing Injured People

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio