Woman Kills Intruder In Her Home

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Your house is your castle. If anyone enters it, day or night, over your objections or without your knowledge, their life is forfeit, period. Doesn't matter how it happens.

That's an absolutely true, absolutely just principle. For ordinary citizens, it does not and should not apply basically anywhere else.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Death by stupidity is just as dead whether by gun or by worshiping your phone. It's the stupid use of the product that matters. Guns and phones don't kill. The person using it does.

You obviously are clueless about gun use. Skeet, traps, sporting clays, IPSC, bench rest, plinking, target shooting. etc.

Will you ever recognize death by electricity, drownings, machinery accidents, etc. Guns are not for everybody.

General Cell Phone Statistics. The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while drivingleads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
Guns are designed for one purpose only. To shoot things.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
From 2013:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf
On page 10 (see also link to Table 18 on page 84):
33,636 fatalities from firearms injuries
-- 21,175 (63%) of which were suicides
-- 11,208 (33.3%) of which were homicides
-- 505 (1.5%) of which were unintentional
-- 467 (1.4%) of which were from legal intervention
-- 281 (0.8%) of which were undetermined

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812101
On page 2, Table 2:
33,782 vehicular fatalities
2,313,000 vehicular injuries

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
I own a gun. In fact, I own two. But if someone is thinking of buying a gun with the hope it will make them safer thanks to scenarios like this one, I'd caution them to check the stats. The simple fact is, people are MORE likely to die violently if they have a gun in the home than if they don't. Whatever added security there may be from these rare occasions of successful use in scenarios that would possibly have ended badly for the homeowner if not for the gun, it appears that's more than offset by added risk to household members from accidental shootings, domestic violence, suicide, or having the gun used against them by a home invader.

The pro-gun crowd doesn't publicize scenarios like this much, but they're not uncommon:

Indy teen killed by family member after being mistaken for intruder
Man cleaning gun accidentally shoots and kills wife
Yes, people should be careful if they plan to buy or already own a gun. A lot of what if's on top of - as you said - rare occasions.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
While what you say is accurate as far as it goes, it makes little sense to restrict my right to own a gun for defense of self or others based on other people being stupid.
True. Well said. We can all learn from the mistakes and unfortunate happenings of others, which include both home intrusion defense and mistakes/accidents.

Accidents are preventable.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Guns are designed for one purpose only. To shoot things.
Yes, and good thing that the woman was able to shoot the criminal in the head and making sure that nobody else can be victimized by this person again in the future.

Would you have preferred the criminal be alive and the woman properly victimized?

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
How is this NOT a good 'person' with a gun story??
I'm going to go ahead ask you to pay attention, please.

If you want to float the half-baked idea and cheapen the story for what it's actually worth with that good-guy BS, then go ahead. As I stated in the OP, I'm not having that conversation, but I'm not going to stand in your way.