Woman Kills Intruder In Her Home

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Woman shoots, kills escaped inmate after he kicks down her door

This isn't a good-guy-with-a-gun story. In fact I think those stories are flawed with any respect to the gun debate as it puts us all in a position to be armed 24/7.

But this story is a good example of why many feel the 'need' to own a gun.

It's not all about gun nuts.
Still, it is a lot about the gun nuts, because of our interpretation of gun laws and the risk they risk they put all ofit's in, especially police. We can't even have a rational discussion about how to reduce the number of gun deaths and mass shootings.

Redirect Notice

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I guess US has a big problem with violent crime, including home invasions, compared to other Western countries. I only own a hunting rifle, which I usually keep disassembled in its case, except when take it to shoot at cans and such out in the woods on an occasional weekend (I cannot bring myself to actually kill an animal anymore...)

Even before I had this thing, I didn't exactly feel unsafe, ever. Nor did my wife, as long as we been together. You don't, it seems, need a weapon to feel safe, up here.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Your house is your castle. If anyone enters it, day or night, over your objections or without your knowledge, their life is forfeit, period. Doesn't matter how it happens.

That's an absolutely true, absolutely just principle. For ordinary citizens, it does not and should not apply basically anywhere else.
Even first responders in emergency situations?

Apr 2015
Banned
Your house is your castle. If anyone enters it, day or night, over your objections or without your knowledge, their life is forfeit, period. Doesn't matter how it happens.

That's an absolutely true, absolutely just principle. For ordinary citizens, it does not and should not apply basically anywhere else.
It was illegal to use a firearm for self defense in your own home in DC for decades, same thing with using a handgun for self defense in Chicago.

It is still illegal to use a firearm for self defense in your own garage in Chicago.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
It was illegal to use a firearm for self defense in your own home in DC for decades, same thing with using a handgun for self defense in Chicago.

It is still illegal to use a firearm for self defense in your own garage in Chicago.
Really?

Under Article 7-2 of the same law, you are allowed to defend a home or other property (owned by either you, an immediate family member, or member of your household) to the extent necessary to protect it. The same basic principles apply to the defense of home or property, it must be based on a reasonable belief that force is imminent and your defense has to be in proportion to the force you are protecting against.
When defending your home, deadly force is only allowed to prevent a felony form occurring in the home or if the forced entry is violent and you reasonably believe such force is necessary to prevent an assault on you or someone else in the home. When defending other property, deadly force is only justified to prevent a forcible felony.

"Forcible felony" pertains to defense of self against attack. And, I've never heard of an attached garage not considered part of the home for this purpose.

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
I own a gun. In fact, I own two. But if someone is thinking of buying a gun with the hope it will make them safer thanks to scenarios like this one, I'd caution them to check the stats. The simple fact is, people are MORE likely to die violently if they have a gun in the home than if they don't. Whatever added security there may be from these rare occasions of successful use in scenarios that would possibly have ended badly for the homeowner if not for the gun, it appears that's more than offset by added risk to household members from accidental shootings, domestic violence, suicide, or having the gun used against them by a home invader.

The pro-gun crowd doesn't publicize scenarios like this much, but they're not uncommon:

Indy teen killed by family member after being mistaken for intruder
Man cleaning gun accidentally shoots and kills wife

Any Study Of 'Gun Violence' Should Include How Guns Save Lives

https://www.forbes.com/.../any-study-of-gun-violence-should-include-how-guns-save...

Mar 20, 2018 - Guns are used for legal self-defense far more often than most people realize. ... should be measured in terms of lives saved or crimes prevented, not criminals ... In 2012, there were 8,855 criminalgun homicides in the FBI's ...

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
I'm going to go ahead ask you to pay attention, please.

If you want to float the half-baked idea and cheapen the story for what it's actually worth with that good-guy BS, then go ahead. As I stated in the OP, I'm not having that conversation, but I'm not going to stand in your way.
You're not having the discussion because you know it is a bullshit assertion.

You can try and act aggressive about it all you want, won't change the bluff. You clearly know this highlights exactly why someone would want to be armed, so you think just declaring its not true is going to negate reality?

There's a word for that.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
So what's wrong with shooting things?
Exactly... Wtf is with this "oh poor criminal got killed committing a crime"... Saved the chance to get sued for his medical bills. Most likely kept from being raped or murdered herself.

Sorry, it's hard to have sympathy.