Woman left/forgotten on a plane

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

Tiffani O'Brien is seen speaking about her ordeal after waking up alone on an Air Canada plane.

Air Canada continues to investigate how crew members could have disembarked from a plane without noticing a sleeping passenger who was still on board, an incident experts say raises serious security issues.

After flying from Quebec City to Toronto’s Pearson International Airport on June 9, Tiffani Louise O’Brien woke up from a mid-flight nap to realize she was completely alone, locked inside the pitch-black aircraft.

“[I was] still in my same seat, 32A, which is about middle of the plane and it was completely pitch-black,” she explained to CTV News Winnipeg.

“I thought this is a nightmare, this is not happening, I am having a bad dream.”

O’Brien said she woke up to several text messages from a friend who had dropped her off at the airport in Quebec City, concerned that she had yet to hear from her after the short flight.

After briefly calling her from the dark plane, O’Brien’s phone died. Her friend then contacted Pearson International Airport to alert ground crews to the situation.

“I said her airplane would have landed two hours ago, she texted me she just woke up,” Deanna Dale told CTV News. “I said I don’t know what’s going on but she’s at the airport.”

After searching around the dark plane, O’Brien said she made her way to the cockpit, where she attempted to use a radio to call for help, but couldn’t use the plane’s radio without power.

“I was so scared that I was going to touch something wrong, but I knew I had to do something,” she explained.

She said she eventually found a flashlight and began signalling out of the plane’s windows, hoping to attract attention.

After managing to open one of the plane’s doors, O’Brien was eventually rescued from the aircraft after being spotted by grounds crews.

Air Canada confirmed O’Brien’s story, but declined to share any additional details citing a review of the incident.

Though it remains unclear how crew members missed O’Brien before disembarking the plane, experts say it raises serious security concerns.

“If this would have happened with someone else who may have different intentions, injury could have resulted,” said Gabor Lukacs, founder of Air Passenger Rights.

“The passenger had access to the cockpit and could have, hypothetically, turned on the aircraft. That would not have been a good thing to happen, to say the very least.”

O’Brien, who said she was offered a limo or hotel room by an Air Canada representative immediately after being rescued, said she’s still struggling with incident.

“It’s just a sheer sense of helplessness when you feel like you’re locked on this aircraft and you have no connection to the outside world,” she explained.
Air Canada reviewing how crew left passenger on parked plane

That's insane... Aren't the flight attendants supposed to check the whole plane after disembarking the passengers at the destination???

May 2012
By the wall
They are supposed to yes.

They also are supposed to do a headcount upon departure and check it against the manifest.

I suppose there are times when they get bored or lazy or preoccupied and forget however.

One of my first dive trips were miles off the coast and I went down with a my buddy. We were given a strict time limit of 15 minutes before we had to come back up to move to the next site.

We got sidetracked looking at some crabs and figured we could blow off the time limit and when we came up the dive boat was gone.

It was a commercial dive boat and a big trip, must have been 50 of us on there at least so apparently they didn't check and here me and my buddy were just floating in the middle of the ocean.

Talk about an oh fuck moment I tell ya.

We had to make a decision to either wait and let the tide take us out further to sea or power our way miles back into shore.

Since we were only about 4 hours from dusk we decided to tie off and inflate and hope they came back.

They did half an hour later.

Now when I dive I make sure to always carry a tracker so I have a direct link to the coast guard.

May 2019
midwest
OPENING NARRATION:

You're riding on a jet airliner on route from London to New York. You're at 35,000 feet atop an overcast and roughly fifty-five minutes from Idlewild Airport. But what you've seen occur inside the cockpit of this plane is no reflection on the aircraft or the crew. It's a safe, well-engineered, perfectly designed machine. And the men you've just met are a trained, cool, highly efficient team. The problem is simply that the plane is going too fast, and there is nothing within the realm of knowledge or at least logic to explain it. Unbeknownst to passenger and crew, this airplane is heading into an uncharted region well off the beaten track of commercial travelers—it's moving into The Twilight Zone. What you're about to see we call "The Odyssey of Flight 33."

The Odyssey of Flight 33
:cool:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
They are supposed to yes.

They also are supposed to do a headcount upon departure and check it against the manifest.

I suppose there are times when they get bored or lazy or preoccupied and forget however.

One of my first dive trips were miles off the coast and I went down with a my buddy. We were given a strict time limit of 15 minutes before we had to come back up to move to the next site.

We got sidetracked looking at some crabs and figured we could blow off the time limit and when we came up the dive boat was gone.

It was a commercial dive boat and a big trip, must have been 50 of us on there at least so apparently they didn't check and here me and my buddy were just floating in the middle of the ocean.

Talk about an oh fuck moment I tell ya.

We had to make a decision to either wait and let the tide take us out further to sea or power our way miles back into shore.

Since we were only about 4 hours from dusk we decided to tie off and inflate and hope they came back.

They did half an hour later.

Now when I dive I make sure to always carry a tracker so I have a direct link to the coast guard.
It's my opinion, honestly, that most modern airlines today no longer give a crap about their passengers, period, only their bottom line.

That's why the crappy cheap "food" on the planes, nowadays; and people being crammed into smaller, less comfortable seats, just so they can load more bodies onto the plane.

And the whole deliberate overselling of tickets and "bumping" of passengers from planes at the airline's convenience...

Etc.

I get that the industry is itself different than 40 years ago. Fuel is more expensive; so are the planes themselves, both to purchase and to maintain, as they get more high tech and complex; and the crews must be paid more too, especially, I believe, the pilots, if you want to retain top talent...

It's harder to make money in this business, these days, in short.

But, the solutions should not come at the expense of the passengers! :mad:

Jan 2014
California

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Mr. Man,

damn, how drunk was she that she passed out and didn't hear everybody leave?
Exactly. She "slept" through the plane landing, everyone standing around and milling about, getting their luggage out of the overhead compartments, and then you know there was laughter as everyone walking up the aisle was looking at the idiot still sleeping.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Really, the worst that would have happened is they fill up the plane for the next trip, notice her, and kick her off lol.
True. At least, I'm sure she would not have starved in there, there likely were snacks and such left over in the galley lol

Mr. Man,

damn, how drunk was she that she passed out and didn't hear everybody leave?
I'm shocked that shit like this has not happened yet in Russia, apparently.

God knows, they have lots of very, very drunk people flying around over there lmao

Drunken fighting and all kinds of crazy behaviour is basically normal on many domestic flights there and especially among passengers lying to or from vacations

You see reports of "drunk debauchery" on planes all the time there, lots of guys come home hog tied with safety belts and scotch tape over this stuff

Russian airport cops are used to wheeling delirious wasted passengers off planes upon arrival, as they sing, rumble on about nonsense, or just scream incoherently, etc

:D Hell of a job those guys have...

There was a tragedy recently too, dude died, on a plane from Simferopol (Crimea) to Moscow, I gather he was returning from vacay

He was drunk as hell, swearing at everyone on the plane, at some point apparently became convinced that the pilots were dead or something and that nobody was controlling the plane, so he tried to break into the cockpit; and attacked a stewardess and she tried to calm him the fuck down; so some other men on board stepped in, he fought with them and they ended up beating the hell out of him so badly that he succumbed later, in the ambulance on the ground, head trauma, brain injuries, apparently...

Crazy...

No cases of drunk people passed out and being forgot on board a plane though, strangely enough :)

Maybe it's because Russians are loud/crazy/violent drunks, rather than quiet, sleepy ones, as a rule haha