Woman who sued Planet Fitness over ‘transgender’ man in locker room wins appeal

Nov 2008
Washington state
LANSING, Michigan, August 2, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) – Stripped of her Planet Fitness membership three years ago for complaining about a man who thinks he’s a woman in the women’s locker rooms, a Michigan woman is still seeking justice. But she’s a lot closer due to a victory in the Michigan Court of Appeals last week. With that ruling, her legal team is hoping to be able to get a favorable decision from a Midland Circuit Court judge before the end of this year. “[The appellate court] pretty much ruled that we won based on the Michigan Consumer Protection Act,” said attorney Dave Kallman in an interview. “We’ll be filing our motion in the next two to three weeks … [and] be heard by the end of September, early October.”

Here’s what the court documents reveal. In late February, Cormier had only been a member of the Planet Fitness in Midland, Michigan for a month when she walked into the women’s locker room and saw a man who identified as a “woman,” a so-called "transgendered" person, there. Local news website mlive.com has identified the man as "Carlotta" Sklodowska.Front desk staff at the gym dismissed Cormier’s complaints, telling her Planet Fitness’ policy is to allow members to have access to whatever locker room corresponds with their self-identified gender. The company’s management backed that up.Unsatisfied, Cormier began to warn other women over the next few days. And Planet Fitness responded by yanking her membership. A legal battle ensued.

In the Supreme Court of Michigan, the case was bounced back to the appellate court so that it could re-examine Cormier’s claims of consumer protection act violations. At the Christian Liberty Counsel ministry, the Supreme Court of Michigan’s ruling was received with enthusiasm. “This is a safety issue for women who understandably do not want to share a locker room with men. This is also discrimination based on sex and violation of state law. Planet Fitness cannot have secret policies and expect to get away with it," he said.

During the drawn-out, legal battle, many of the claims made by Cormier have been thrown out of court. Her claims that Planet Fitness violated certain parts of the state’s consumer protection laws, though, remain. It’s those claims the Midland Circuit Court will have to decide later this year. If that court decision goes in Cormier’s favor, she will likely be able to get back the cost of her Planet Fitness membership – but nothing else – and Planet Fitness would then be stuck with all the legal costs. There is no longer any possibility of Cormier getting awarded anything from the court for any damage to her reputation or other, emotional losses. https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/w...over-transgender-man-in-locker-room-wins-appe

At least this woman has won an appeal for justice and has the possibility to get her membership cost back and damages. No woman should lose their membership because they don't want to be in the showers with a man. Would you want to be in the showers in a Fitness business with the opposite sex?

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/wo...room-wins-appe

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
Wow, on the grand scale of issues, this seems really small. Good for them, I hope this lady is happy to have completely humiliated another human being.

As a side note, this woman who by all accounts is absolutely a transgender female, will now change in YOUR bathroom.....IN FRONT OF YOUNG BOYS!

Nov 2008
Washington state
Wow, on the grand scale of issues, this seems really small. Good for them, I hope this lady is happy to have completely humiliated another human being.

As a side note, this woman who by all accounts is absolutely a transgender female, will now change in YOUR bathroom.....IN FRONT OF YOUNG BOYS!
The woman was completely humiliated from a man being in the womens shower room. What happened to her rights?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
The core of the complaint is that Planet Fitness' policy regarding transgender individuals was not codified in print. That's all the plaintiff has backing up her claims.

Apr 2010
Oregon
Lol, you do realize that even if she gets her membership back, PF will still allow trans individuals to use the locker room of their choice?

All she will accomplish should she win will be to have PF include language about allowing trans people to use their preferred locker room in their contracts.

This woman is petty and pathetic.

Nov 2008
Washington state
Lol, you do realize that even if she gets her membership back, PF will still allow trans individuals to use the locker room of their choice?

All she will accomplish should she win will be to have PF include language about allowing trans people to use their preferred locker room in their contracts.

This woman is petty and pathetic.
Planet Fitness should let everyone know that when they join the membership that they do let Transexuals use the showers of the sex they identify with, so the public is aware of their policies. This will solve the problem of surprising people that may disagree with this policy that could lead to another challenge in court.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
It's a complicated situation...

There are trans women who look like women, completely and totally, like you wouldn't know they are trans unless they tell you themselves

some can even be outright beautiful

But then, there are also folks who look like this

And even I, super tolerant and open minded guy that Canada has made me, would be... well... startled a little bit, if I saw a person like that walk into a lady's room after my wife...

It is what it is. Perception is a human thing...

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
It's a complicated situation...

There are trans women who look like women, completely and totally, like you wouldn't know they are trans unless they tell you themselves

And even I, super tolerant and open minded guy that Canada has made me, would be... well... startled a little bit, if I saw a person like that walk into a lady's room after my wife...

It is what it is. Perception is a human thing...
I remember this case when it first was reported. This is the TG who is involved in this case.

May 2016
Florida
For someone that suggested that gays go buy a cake elsewhere, why aren’t they suggesting this woman go to another fitness center that is more catering to her biases?

Rhetorical question.