Working a 6 day week, 12 hours a day?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
One of China's richest men has been criticized for endorsing the controversial culture of 12-hour workdays in the country's red-hot tech industry, saying employees who worked longer hours will get the "rewards of hard work."

Jack Ma, founder of e-commerce giant Alibaba (BABA), has spoken out on social media in recent days in support of the Chinese work practice known as "996." The number refers to working from 9 am to 9 pm six days a week and is said to be common among the country's big technology companies and start-ups.

Ma said that he did not intend to defend the practice of working long hours, but wanted to "pay tribute" to employees who did. "The real 996 is not simply overtime work," he said, adding that everyone has the right to choose their own lifestyle but those who work shorter hours "won't taste the happiness and rewards of hard work."

Ma added that any prospective employees of Alibaba, one of the world's biggest tech companies, should be prepared to work 12 hours a day if they want to succeed. "Or why bother joining? We don't lack those who work eight hours comfortably," he said.

Long workdays in the high tech sector are not unique to China. Tesla (TSLA) co-founder Elon Musk has previously said he worked up to 120 hours per week when the electric vehicle maker struggled with production delays. "There are way easier places to work, but nobody ever changed the world on 40 hours a week," he posted on social media site Twitter in November last year.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/15/business/jack-ma-996-china/index.html

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
"Won't taste the happiness and rewards of hard work" ... also probably will not have a heart attack before age 50. :rolleyes:
Whats weird is where I work, we have seen 4 people have either heart attacks or bypass surgeries in the last 6 months or so and all are under 50. I dont remember that happening before. No one was obese either. Really strange but I guess eating habits or lifestyle habits are catching up earlier and earlier. I cant imagine adding this sort of stress as well. Especially since many Americans also commute quite a distance.

Jan 2014
California
One of China's richest men has been criticized for endorsing the controversial culture of 12-hour workdays in the country's red-hot tech industry, saying employees who worked longer hours will get the "rewards of hard work."

Jack Ma, founder of e-commerce giant Alibaba (BABA), has spoken out on social media in recent days in support of the Chinese work practice known as "996." The number refers to working from 9 am to 9 pm six days a week and is said to be common among the country's big technology companies and start-ups.

Ma said that he did not intend to defend the practice of working long hours, but wanted to "pay tribute" to employees who did. "The real 996 is not simply overtime work," he said, adding that everyone has the right to choose their own lifestyle but those who work shorter hours "won't taste the happiness and rewards of hard work."

Ma added that any prospective employees of Alibaba, one of the world's biggest tech companies, should be prepared to work 12 hours a day if they want to succeed. "Or why bother joining? We don't lack those who work eight hours comfortably," he said.

Long workdays in the high tech sector are not unique to China. Tesla (TSLA) co-founder Elon Musk has previously said he worked up to 120 hours per week when the electric vehicle maker struggled with production delays. "There are way easier places to work, but nobody ever changed the world on 40 hours a week," he posted on social media site Twitter in November last year.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/15/business/jack-ma-996-china/index.html
Bajisima,

I did for several years. Not 12 hours a day, but often 6 days a week with at least a couple of ten hour days every week.

I made a boatload of money, but lost a lot of life.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Bajisima,

I did for several years. Not 12 hours a day, but often 6 days a week with at least a couple of ten hour days every week.

I remember when nursing shifts changed to 12 hour shifts. I worked 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for 4 years when I was paying off my student loans. You get used to it. I was pretty bad ass fit when doing this. I was quite skinny. LOL The part that hurts the worst with 12 hour shifts is your feet...especially if you are on your feet for that long.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
If I had to work that much - i.e., if I had that much work - I would hire a staff person to do the more menial stuff. As it is now, I do it all. It's the nice thing about computer technology ... one person can operate the whole business.

Jan 2014
California
I remember when nursing shifts changed to 12 hour shifts. I worked 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for 4 years when I was paying off my student loans. You get used to it. I was pretty bad ass fit when doing this. I was quick skinny. LOL The part that hurts the worst with 12 hour shifts is your feet...especially if you are on your feet for that long.
Ms. HCProf,

I did it in my early 50s. What saved me was that it was very physical and out doors. Desk work was reserved for a couple of hours after shift.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Ms. HCProf,

I did it in my early 50s. What saved me was that it was very physical and out doors. Desk work was reserved for a couple of hours after shift.
I was 46 when I started the 7 days a week, 12 hour shifts. I had quite a bit of student loan debt....some left over from my nursing degree then the bulk of it was from my Master's which I double majored. Nursing is pretty physical as well as teaching. I never sit down at work... I have never had a job where I have to sit for long periods of time. I would would either be fired for my ADD or would die a slow miserable death. LOL I am in my mid 50's now and could probably do it again....with the exception of my feet. They are long, bony with thin skin now. It is weird. I think shift work destroyed my feet.

Nov 2015
UK
Bajisima,

I'm self employed so you tend to work when you can. The longest I've worked without a day off is 39 days and the longest shift was 21hours. In the summer, you work summer hours (up early, to bed late). I remember a roofer failed to turn up and the leadwork needed done so I was up at 5am because once the sun came over the house, the lead got too hot to touch by 11am, then I worked through to 7pm-ish on the night.

My choice though.