World sea levels

Nov 2015
UK
Once all the world's ice melts, sea level will rise 224 feet.......

.....in.....

5,000 years time.

Not gonna affect me or my lads. Back to driving my diesel car.

Good news is, shithole London will disappear; bad news is, I won't get to witness it.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Once all the world's ice melts, sea level will rise 224 feet.......

.....in.....

5,000 years time.

Not gonna affect me or my lads. Back to driving my diesel car.

Good news is, shithole London will disappear; bad news is, I won't get to witness it.

I'm not sure you listened to your own link very carefully. It said it would take 5000 years for all of Earth's ice to melt, at the CURRENT RATE of ice melting.

Unfortunately, there is EVERY reason to believe that that rate will itself increase. You should have learned that from your own link, as it pointed out that sea level rise is ACCELERATING. Sea levels were rising three times as fast in the 20th Century than they were in the preceding 19th Century------that is directly from your link.

Reactions: Blueneck

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I'm not sure you listened to your own link very carefully. It said it would take 5000 years for all of Earth's ice to melt, at the CURRENT RATE of ice melting.

Unfortunately, there is EVERY reason to believe that that rate will itself increase. You should have learned that from your own link, as it pointed out that sea level rise is ACCELERATING. Sea levels were rising three times as fast in the 20th Century than they were in the preceding 19th Century------that is directly from your link.
Yes and the more the ice sheets melt, the more dark water and earth beneath are exposed and the more heat they absorb, also accelerating the process. Permafrost melts and what's below releases even more carbon into the atmosphere, creating even more warmth.

It's the snowball effect, except the snowball is melting instead of getting larger.

But some folks get off on being trolls about it, time to stop expecting their approval or caring if we get it. Just go ahead without them. Tax the fuck out of the remaining Koch brother and take all that money and buy windmills and solar panels with it. We have no choice, really.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Yes and the more the ice sheets melt, the more dark water and earth beneath are exposed and the more heat they absorb, also accelerating the process. Permafrost melts and what's below releases even more carbon into the atmosphere, creating even more warmth.

It's the snowball effect, except the snowball is melting instead of getting larger.

But some folks get off on being trolls about it, time to stop expecting their approval or caring if we get it. Just go ahead without them. Tax the fuck out of the remaining Koch brother and take all that money and buy windmills and solar panels with it. We have no choice, really.
To state the matter a little more technically, there are several positive feedback loops that are causing global warming to accelerate. You cited some of them: the albedo effect as ice sheets or snow cover are replaced by darker and less reflective landscapes or ocean, and the melting of permafrost which emits a lot of METHANE, an even more effective greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

Reactions: Blueneck

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
To state the matter a little more technically, there are several positive feedback loops that are causing global warming to accelerate. You cited some of them: the albedo effect as ice sheets or snow cover are replaced by darker and less reflective landscapes or ocean, and the melting of permafrost which emits a lot of METHANE, an even more effective greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.
I love how people always want to dispute the raw data and the integrity of 90+ percent of the world's climate scientists, but you don't need to be a genius to see that the worse it gets, the worse it's going to get. Also I get very frustrated with people using the "oh we all have to ride horses now" standard to refuse to turn their heater down a couple of degrees in the winter.

My favorite line from Jaws: "Why aren't we leading him into shore instead of letting him lead us out to sea". We have yet to see if small, incremental adjustments will work because we keep going in the opposite direction. The mere suggestion of people tightening their energy belts even the tiniest amount causes people to go nuts and run out and buy the biggest truck they can find.

One thing gave me hope was this:

Recession Caused U.S. Emissions Drop, Study Says

Kind of nice to know if the Republicans cause another economic crisis, at least the environment will get a much needed break.