Worse than opioids: Alcohol deaths soar among the middle aged, women

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Full disclosure, we do keep a stock of opiods in our medkit, but like you said, for very extreme cases and you are correct, pain free is not something that should be a goal but a managable pain level.

There are some who need opiods for extreme chronic pain, it's the lesser of two evils. but most of us, never need them.
I keep them on hand too. IJS that for every boo boo, we don't need a narcotic, but they have been telling us we do forever. Bayer used to make pharmaceutical heroin in pretty bottles and marketed it for children with colds. No matter what anyone says, oxy and hydrocodone and codeine are synthetic heroin, they just reformulated it and started marketing again. And here we are.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Benadryl, will knock one out, the first night, feel like shit (for me anyway) the next night, and lose its efficacy quickly if tried multiple nights. I brought up opiods in context of the thread, and benzos in response to what you posted.
And, of course, they should only be used regularly under the supervision of a physician, especially benzos.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
And, of course, they should only be used regularly under the supervision of a physician, especially benzos.

Absolutely, which is also why I am a big proponent of cannabis for certain things. you have the "legalization" types who idiotically claim it a cure for everything, who argue it's medical benefits without peer review as a reason for legalization, which is wrong, it's a freedom issue, not an issue to prove to the government your need.

That said, I have seen it work wonders for PTSD, Insomnia, pain and stress on wounded veterans and others. I personally am like you I don't like the "high" feeling but when I can't sleep, it is sweet sweet magic. lol.

And one really doesn't need doctor supervision to use it.

Dec 2018
Milwaukee
So when are we going to start demanding the government act on this?

Worse than opioids: Alcohol deaths soar among the middle aged, women

These are some of the shocking facts related to alcohol:

1. Even one night of heavy drinking can increase your chances of cardiomyopathy (heart diseases that could trigger a cardiac event)

2. Alcohol mixes with our bloodstream and gets carried to our brain, it first attacks the frontal lobe. The frontal lobe (cortex) is the region of the brain which controls our emotional response and decision-making capacity.

3. You unknowingly consume large chunks of calories which deposit mostly around your waist and vital organs (visceral fats). This increased sugar consumption has both direct and indirect effects on your body.

4. Drinking is the 3rd most leading preventable cause of death. It kills more than 88,000 people every year in the USA alone.

Sep 2012
SoCal
Opioids? We had two or three dental medical issues in the last year and you won't be offered much of anything besides Tylenol now. Barely adequate.
Yeah … and that's a problem for people like me who can't take Tylenol. The pain is preferable to the reaction to Tylenol. About the only things I can take are ibuprofen, Darvon or Darvocet without a bad reaction.

ARMCX1

Former Staff
Jun 2013
SoCal
One difference is the opioids task force is headed by Kellyanne Conway. I'm unaware of anything that could be described as progress that's been done beyond occasional publuc relations announcements by Conway as she makes the rounds defending Trump with her unique form of doubletalk.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
One difference is the opioids task force is headed by Kellyanne Conway. I'm unaware of anything that could be described as progress that's been done beyond occasional publuc relations announcements by Conway as she makes the rounds defending Trump with her unique form of doubletalk.
KAC is the personification of why people choose to zone out to begin with. It's hard to see expect her particular kind of team spirit as being helpful.

ARMCX1

Former Staff
Jun 2013
SoCal
I keep them on hand too. IJS that for every boo boo, we don't need a narcotic, but they have been telling us we do forever. Bayer used to make pharmaceutical heroin in pretty bottles and marketed it for children with colds. No matter what anyone says, oxy and hydrocodone and codeine are synthetic heroin, they just reformulated it and started marketing again. And here we are.
There is also the black market in which look alike knock offs are basically mixes of fentanyl pressed into pills with the correct marks sold as Percocet, Oxycodone, etc but the potency and risk of an overdose of fentanyl. Fentanyl that comes from China in a sort of globalized reverse Opium Wars.

Last edited:

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
There is also the black market in which look alike knock offs are basically mixes of fentanyl pressed into pills with the correct marks sold as Percocet, Oxycodone, etc but the potency and risk of an overdose of fentanyl. Fentanyl that comes from China in a sort of globalized reverse Opium Wars.
It must have some benefits over other drugs as they kept my sister on a Fentanyl drip the whole time she was ICU on a respirator.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
I have trouble believing a whole lot of Drs. actually do that. Besides, they are under a lot of restrictions too, and one is that a person being prescribed pain medication has an underlying condition that needs treatment. I'm sure there may be a few Drs. who prescribe this stuff to those who don't need it, but all in all there's a much bigger problem which is over prescribing antibiotics.
It's been a boon to the orthopedic surgeons of the country though especially for those patients covered by Medicare. People who used to depend on opiates for pain control of bad hips, knees, backs etc are now demanding surgeries to stop the pain because no drugs other than opiates will control it for them.

My doc said he has to make sure I'm not on a list of felons before prescribing for home administration and even then the case goes before a review board before it can be filled. And he said it's not worth it. So I use Ibuprophen which works well, but causes gastric upset.