Worse than opioids: Alcohol deaths soar among the middle aged, women

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
It's been a boon to the orthopedic surgeons of the country though especially for those patients covered by Medicare. People who used to depend on opiates for pain control of bad hips, knees, backs etc are now demanding surgeries to stop the pain because no drugs other than opiates will control it for them.

My doc said he has to make sure I'm not on a list of felons before prescribing for home administration and even then the case goes before a review board before it can be filled. And he said it's not worth it. So I use Ibuprophen which works well, but causes gastric upset.
It is the Medicare patients I feel the worst about. When you get up in years, you are going to have pain...no getting around that. Also, your tissues become fragile and NSAIDS like IB is dangerous to the GI tract. My poor Dad at 91, can't get out of bed without a Lortab. He takes two per day, morning and night time. He has more drug screens in his chart than regular blood work. I have post fracture pain sometimes with my ankle and IB is starting to hurt me. I bleed now from it...from the nose, and everywhere else. I use cannabis now when my ankle is bothering me...it is not worth the hassle of pain management and I am afraid that IB has done some damage at this point. Have you read the negatives about IB lately? Kind of concerning.

FDA strengthens warning that NSAIDs increase heart attack and stroke risk - Harvard Health Blog

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
It is the Medicare patients I feel the worst about. When you get up in years, you are going to have pain...no getting around that. Also, your tissues become fragile and NSAIDS like IB is dangerous to the GI tract. My poor Dad at 91, can't get out of bed without a Lortab. He takes two per day, morning and night time. He has more drug screens in his chart than regular blood work. I have post fracture pain sometimes with my ankle and IB is starting to hurt me. I bleed now from it...from the nose, and everywhere else. I use cannabis now when my ankle is bothering me...it is not worth the hassle of pain management and I am afraid that IB has done some damage at this point. Have you read the negatives about IB lately? Kind of concerning.

FDA strengthens warning that NSAIDs increase heart attack and stroke risk - Harvard Health Blog
I try to take Ibuprophen as little as possible because I have read up on the side effects. I'm sort of lucky in that a 400 mg dose seems to give pain relief for up to two days most of the time.

I'm allergic to cannabis as least through the smoking route. I think a neighbor has taken it up because everytime he's out smoking in his back yard I get this strep like sore throat.

Doc said so many of the fragile elderly now are requesting surgeries for the pain relief, not for the increased function or mobility. And that those who have been w/c bound for a long time will most likely still stay that way.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader

I was taking high levels of acetaminophen and ibuprofen (or naproxyn), basically the daily maximum every day, in addition to my prescription muscle relaxant, and I was still having pain issues much of the time. Now I take very little, and instead regularly use CBD oil (ingestable and topical), which takes less and helps about the same, and I do not need to take the topical every day.

Then again, there are days like today, when I just have random aches/pains coming & going ... could have gone out to dinner at a friend's while watching an LotR film, but I was hurting bad enough that I bailed.

Chronic pain is just difficult to deal with, and "pain management" is not about getting rid of pain in order to function, but rather training to just live with it and still at least minimally function. So pain management is pretty worthless.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I was taking high levels of acetaminophen and ibuprofen (or naproxyn), basically the daily maximum every day, in addition to my prescription muscle relaxant, and I was still having pain issues much of the time. Now I take very little, and instead regularly use CBD oil (ingestable and topical), which takes less and helps about the same, and I do not need to take the topical every day.

Then again, there are days like today, when I just have random aches/pains coming & going ... could have gone out to dinner at a friend's while watching an LotR film, but I was hurting bad enough that I bailed.

Chronic pain is just difficult to deal with, and "pain management" is not about getting rid of pain in order to function, but rather training to just live with it and still at least minimally function. So pain management is pretty worthless.
I agree. Pain Management physicians also treat you like a junkie. A few of my nurse friends have gone through pain management and were treated like criminals. I have a VERY low tolerance to pain and could never just live with it. I would lose my mind. What topical do you use for CBD? I like the leaded version of CBD :) because it chills me out and I can tolerate the discomfort.

Mmmmm....friend, home cooked dinner and a movie. I bet there is a story there. :)

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
I agree. Pain Management physicians also treat you like a junkie. A few of my nurse friends have gone through pain management and were treated like criminals.
This country's attitude about drugs simply has to change.
I have a VERY low tolerance to pain and could never just live with it. I would lose my mind. What topical do you use for CBD? I like the leaded version of CBD :) because it chills me out and I can tolerate the discomfort.
My topical has a little "lead" in it, but not enough to feel it.
Mmmmm....friend, home cooked dinner and a movie. I bet there is a story there. :)
No story. Bunch of people hanging out. The couple who's house it was named their daughter "Arwen," so there's a mutual love of Lord of the Rings.

I have not had a "dinner and a movie" night in longer than I care to remember. :(

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
This country's attitude about drugs simply has to change.

My topical has a little "lead" in it, but not enough to feel it.

No story. Bunch of people hanging out. The couple who's house it was named their daughter "Arwen," so there's a mutual love of Lord of the Rings.

I have not had a "dinner and a movie" night in longer than I care to remember. :(
Another thing I like to manage middle age pain...is massage therapy. At this point, I don't do the full body massage anymore, just a hour on my back, shoulders and neck...and feet. :) My massage therapist is a sports trainer and you think during the massage he is killing you. LOL I can barely walk and have to drag myself to the car after, very sore but the next day I feel like a teenager again. I received 3 gift certificates for him this year for Christmas and cannot wait for my next massage, probably Friday.

As far as the "dinner and a movie" thing, I have a hard time believing that a young, handsome, attorney with no baggage such as kids, child support or alimony has issues with this. I predict women are burning up your smart phone with text messages. ;) Around here, you would be King Ian...:) with the ladies.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Another thing I like to manage middle age pain...is massage therapy.
That's probably something I should do more.
As far as the "dinner and a movie" thing, I have a hard time believing that a young, handsome, attorney with no baggage such as kids, child support or alimony has issues with this. I predict women are burning up your smart phone with text messages. ;) Around here, you would be King Ian...:) with the ladies.
It's not about "issues" (i.e., difficulties), just that I don't behave the way I used to, which changes my operational milieu, so to speak.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
That's probably something I should do more.

It's not about "issues" (i.e., difficulties), just that I don't behave the way I used to, which changes my operational milieu, so to speak.
You should look into a good massage, at least twice per month. It is a little treat you give yourself. A massage is totally delicious. :) I don't really see what behavior has to do with dating NICE women. You are not a savage, you seem sweet and nice, and your funny and smart. That is all you need. Women don't like savages. :)