Worse than opioids: Alcohol deaths soar among the middle aged, women

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Depending on the opiate prescribed, there is likely an NSAID of some type mixed in and that helps with inflammation.

Plus there's a difference between saying it aids in healing and "it's good for you".
Agree but some doctors were bad about it. My kid had his wisdom teeth out in 2010 and the dentist gave him a 30 day supply of opioids. Kept asking "on a scale of 1-10 what is the pain? We need it to be 0 before we send you home." I remember being pissed because an hour after surgery no one should be pain free. A certain amount of pain is expected. They got annoyed at me when I refused the 30 day supply. It seemed over the top and unnecessary.

Jul 2011
NYC
Read the side effects, contraindications and other warnings about almost any drug out there and you'll find you have more reason to fear drugs that don't alter your mood than ones that do.

Good example, Tylenol with Codeine. Look it up in the PDR sometime. I did, there's three pages of warnings about the Tylenol and a couple paragraphs about the codeine only because the latter is a CNS depressant that can slow breathing, and if taken for an extended period of time or not as prescribed (NOT as directed) one can become addicted or overdose.

People overdo and become addicted to things other than opiates, including the internet and social media. I have never heard of an Apple genius warning customers about this before selling them an Iphone.

So wait, are you arguing that social media is as addicting as opiods?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Agree but some doctors were bad about it. My kid had his wisdom teeth out in 2010 and the dentist gave him a 30 day supply of opioids. Kept asking "on a scale of 1-10 what is the pain? We need it to be 0 before we send you home." I remember being pissed because an hour after surgery no one should be pain free. A certain amount of pain is expected. They got annoyed at me when I refused the 30 day supply. It seemed over the top and unnecessary.
Huge part of the problem right there.

Jul 2011
NYC

That dentist should be in prison. fucking stooge. I hope you aren't still seeing him. He literally tried to kill your kid.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Depending on the opiate prescribed, there is likely an NSAID of some type mixed in and that helps with inflammation.

Plus there's a difference between saying it aids in healing and "it's good for you".
acetaminophen is not an anti-inflammatory. I already clarified that 'good for me' meant due to injury the opioid would aid in healing. I read that as good for me to take after injury, do you not?

Have you somehow managed to avoid all the press Purdue has been getting for lying about addictive properties of oxy? Drug reps aggressively marketing it? Telling Drs they are violating their oaths if they don't script them?

I got them for bronchitis. I had a sore throat.

Jul 2011
NYC
It was common to do. It's one of the things you will read over and over digging into the roots of the opioid crisis.

The opiod crisis is a direct result of big pharma telling doctors "these opiods are safe and non addicting" and doctors dropping thier common sense for profit in prescribing them.

My wife who is a nurse practitioner would tell me stories about how in schools they would tell you this and it boggles the mind.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
The opiod crisis is a direct result of big pharma telling doctors "these opiods are safe and non addicting" and doctors dropping thier common sense for profit in prescribing them.

My wife who is a nurse practitioner would tell me stories about how in schools they would tell you this and it boggles the mind.
Yes I had concerns about them and was told not to worry, and they actually aid in healing, so don't try to be a tough guy. Now, of course, they will say the opposite. Which is better. Toughen up, we aren't supposed to be totally pain free all the time.

I did have a good experience after one injury. They were careful to say x number of days on hydrocodone and then quick step down to codeine and then quick step down to NSAIDs.

I was not pain free, nor should I have been. The worst pain was at the start and I was assisted through that.

Jul 2011
NYC
Yes I had concerns about them and was told not to worry, and they actually aid in healing, so don't try to be a tough guy. Now, of course, they will say the opposite. Which is better. Toughen up, we aren't supposed to be totally pain free all the time.

I did have a good experience after one injury. They were careful to say x number of days on hydrocodone and then quick step down to codeine and then quick step down to NSAIDs.

I was not pain free, nor should I have been. The worst pain was at the start and I was assisted through that.

Full disclosure, we do keep a stock of opiods in our medkit, but like you said, for very extreme cases and you are correct, pain free is not something that should be a goal but a managable pain level.

There are some who need opiods for extreme chronic pain, it's the lesser of two evils. but most of us, never need them.