Would you eat these GM eggs under a doctor's recommendation

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Some people are unsure about the safety of GM foods. Some are convinced they are bad.

This report from the BBC says that through GM, chickens are laying eggs that contain drugs that can treat arthritis and cancer. And that this means of producing them is way cheaper than through industrial chemical methods.

My guess is that they would be purer also. Plus, I like eggs.

The chickens that lay anti-cancer drugs

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
I've never understood how GMO foods could be dangerous to eat, so long as they don't somehow produce/contain some sort of poison. Once foods hit the stomach, they get broken down into fats, carbs, and proteins. Their genetic structure is almost immediately destroyed. How can an altered genetic structure harm someone in the face of hydrochloric acid?

That's not to belittle the dangers of GMO's to the environment (like any other invasive species). But to eat? FMAGB.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
I've never understood how GMO foods could be dangerous to eat, so long as they don't somehow produce/contain some sort of poison. Once foods hit the stomach, they get broken down into fats, carbs, and proteins. Their genetic structure is almost immediately destroyed. How can an altered genetic structure harm someone in the face of hydrochloric acid?

That's not to belittle the dangers of GMO's to the environment (like any other invasive species). But to eat? FMAGB.
I'm with you. As I said, I like eggs.:)

And you accurately hit the thumbnail of the pluses and minuses of GM in as few words as I have ever seen. Congrats.

Nicnam

Dec 2013
!
Interesting --

I rarely eat eggs and when I do it's generally egg whites.

I wouldn't have a problems with these if they have beneficial factors.

Jan 2016
Colorado
On present trends, there are going to be 10 billion people on this planet by mid-century. We are going to NEED GMO technologies to help us feed what is likely to be a very hungry planet. Many environmentalists do not appear to understand this.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Some people are unsure about the safety of GM foods. Some are convinced they are bad.

This report from the BBC says that through GM, chickens are laying eggs that contain drugs that can treat arthritis and cancer. And that this means of producing them is way cheaper than through industrial chemical methods.

My guess is that they would be purer also. Plus, I like eggs.

The chickens that lay anti-cancer drugs
Vaccines are made in eggs, too.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
On present trends, there are going to be 10 billion people on this planet by mid-century. We are going to NEED GMO technologies to help us feed what is likely to be a very hungry planet. Many environmentalists do not appear to understand this.
10 billion people?! What are we going to do with all that poop? :oops: