Would you rather be born..

Which one of these traits would you rather be born with..

• Total voters

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I would want to be born rich because then I could pursue anything of my choosing. The world would be completely open to me. I disagree that it would stunt my creativity, imagination or capacity for joy. That can happen to some people. But I don't think it's a given.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I would want to be born rich because then I could pursue anything of my choosing. The world would be completely open to me. I disagree that it would stunt my creativity, imagination or capacity for joy. That can happen to some people. But I don't think it's a given.
Name one world class artist who was born rich, please.

Without misery, struggle and angst, what does any artist have to say?

Jul 2014
midwest
How do you know?

I think I would have rather been a housecat or an oak tree than a human being. Our species sucks.
I'll stick with what I know.

That would be a decision for everyone to make, of course.

Cats, dolphins, dogs, horses, whatever...to each his own.

Reactions: Madeline
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
While most were not born to great wealth most were not born into poverty. In many cases they were born to fairly well-to-do families.
Not musicians or writers, on the whole. Painters and sculptors, maybe.

Landscape architects, regular architects, maybe.

But the best, most transformative art is subversive, mostly done by artists who have had some deprivation in childhood.

I guess I would rather be comfortable and write Miss Marple books than desperate and hopeless, writing as Camus, but you can't argue Agatha Christie is the better writer.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
In this day and age with abortions, anyone born would be classed as lucky.
Really? I disagree.

Are infants and children murdered by their parents "lucky"?

Starved to death in a famine? Brain dead due to Zika or maternal drug use? Etc.?

There is a threshold below which all quality of life is gone, but life is not yet extinct.

Yet another reason humans are a shitty species.

Mar 2010
Indiana
Being rich has the same defect as being happy. As a lifelong condition, both stunt creativity, imagination, capacity for joy, etc.

It would be like a life "lived" in a medically-induced coma, in my view.

Why fucking bother?
I'm guessing my definition of rich is different than yours. Mine is financial security and I'm most of the way there actually. House is paid off, no car payments, and just utilities, insurance, and food to consider. And I have no debt on my credit card. But I do see your point.

And my idea of enjoyment is to make money on my businesses, which I do albeit at times I am putting more into them in the short run to make long term gains.

Have you heard the new rich is no debt?

Reactions: Madeline