Would you rather be born..

Which one of these traits would you rather be born with..

• Total voters
Nov 2015
UK
Really? I disagree.

Are infants and children murdered by their parents "lucky"?

Starved to death in a famine? Brain dead due to Zika or maternal drug use? Etc.?

There is a threshold below which all quality of life is gone, but life is not yet extinct.

Yet another reason humans are a shitty species.
To answer your two questions, no and no.

But as per my original statement though which is to do with abortion, in this day and age with abortions, anyone born would be classed as lucky.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Rich. It increases opportunities for luck and money is survival for the resourceful and unresourceful alike. No it will not bring you happiness but it sure as hell helps.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Name one world class artist who was born rich, please.

Without misery, struggle and angst, what does any artist have to say?
As an artist, the whole "must struggle" perception is a load of bs. Any good artist who enjoys their work will find inspiration.

Some of the most famous artists today were born wealthy.

Wealth can help artists focus on the art and not just paying the bills.

I don't understand where this notion comes from, that artists must struggle to create really great art. That's highly discouraging to future artists. What's worse is once they become artists they realize that notion isn't true.

The same can be said of "talent." The word talent (you are so talented) not always, but often comes with the notion that this talent was there when you were born, God given. You are a natural, you were born to paint, etc. Those are great compliments, but often do not recognize the hard work and years of effort, which is where the talent actually comes from.

The only thing we are born with, or learn early on, is specific passion.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
While most were not born to great wealth most were not born into poverty. In many cases they were born to fairly well-to-do families.
Agreed.

Often those artists who have struggled the most end up there by their own choices, good and bad. Nothing, or very little to do with their family's YTD income.