Would you rather be born..

Which one of these traits would you rather be born with..

• Total voters
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
As an artist, the whole "must struggle" perception is a load of bs. Any good artist who enjoys their work will find inspiration.

Some of the most famous artists today were born wealthy.

Wealth can help artists focus on the art and not just paying the bills.

I don't understand where this notion comes from, that artists must struggle to create really great art. That's highly discouraging to future artists. What's worse is once they become artists they realize that notion isn't true.

The same can be said of "talent." The word talent (you are so talented) not always, but often comes with the notion that this talent was there when you were born, God given. You are a natural, you were born to paint, etc. Those are great compliments, but often do not recognize the hard work and years of effort, which is where the talent actually comes from.

The only thing we are born with, or learn early on, is specific passion.
Name one.

Obviously, poverty alone doesn't enhance abilities but I'd argue it enhances empathy and perception.

Anyway, point is, an untroubled, comfortable life entirely free of troubles is not appealing to me.

Boring!

Jul 2014
midwest
Even to be born horribly disfigured, or crippled, unable to walk or with hole in your heart, etc?
Now you are putting qualifiers in the scenerio?

A "horribly disfigured, or crippled, unable to walk or with a hole in your heart, etc" human or animal or thing?

HMMM...good question.

I was referring to a healthy specimen of whatever creature/thing.

That's a whole nother question right there, yes it is...

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I would prefer to be "rich" as in the freedom of choices it brings not for the love of money. That is, no concerns about paying the bills, and the freedom to expand my businesses without a bank breathing down my neck expecting an immediate return.
That was my initial idea, but then extraordinarily good luck will bring sufficient wealth as to not have to worry about those things, so that's why I went with luck.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
The same can be said of "talent." The word talent (you are so talented) not always, but often comes with the notion that this talent was there when you were born, G-d given. You are a natural, you were born to paint, etc. Those are great compliments, but often do not recognize the hard work and years of effort, which is where the talent actually comes from.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I think one is born with raw talent. However, without the hard work and effort, it never comes to fruition. As example, I have always had musical talent, but I have not put much into it (since I hung up the trombone 30 years ago, at least), and so I'm a mediocre performer at best. But if I switched directions - say, if I suddenly hit upon substantial wealth - I could become quite good.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Poor, black, female and smart.
You sure you don't want to reroll that character? Being born "poor, black, female and smart" in Ethiopia is a pretty hard row to hoe. heck, thats if you even make it into adulthood to use that 'smart' stat.

Last edited:

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Name one.

Obviously, poverty alone doesn't enhance abilities but I'd argue it enhances empathy and perception.

Anyway, point is, an untroubled, comfortable life entirely free of troubles is not appealing to me.

Boring!
Rembrandt

Van Gogh

Nick Kroll

Taylor Swift

Lady Gaga

Ariana Grande

Kate Mara

Julia Louis-Dreyfus

Paul Giamatti

Edward Norton

shall I go on?

I contend any emotion or circumstance is worthy of creating art.

How do you explain artists who created their masterpieces after their rise, wealth and/or fame?

Such as H.R.Giger, Dali, Jim Lee... I could list these for years and not reach the end of the list.

Certainly your journey in life has influence on your work, medium and subject matter - but to say the that in order to make good art you have to suffer is a myth.

"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible." - Albert Hitchcock

That's who suffers.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Rembrandt

Van Gogh

Nick Kroll

Taylor Swift

Lady Gaga

Ariana Grande

Kate Mara

Julia Louis-Dreyfus

Paul Giamatti

Edward Norton

shall I go on?

I contend any emotion or circumstance is worthy of creating art.

How do you explain artists who created their masterpieces after their rise, wealth and/or fame?

Such as H.R.Giger, Dali, Jim Lee... I could list these for years and not reach the end of the list.

Certainly your journey in life has influence on your work, medium and subject matter - but to say the that in order to make good art you have to suffer is a myth.

"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible." - Albert Hitchcock

That's who suffers.
Humm.

Harmph!

Lol.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
You sure you don't want to reroll that character? Being a "poor, black, female and smart" born in Ethiopia is a pretty hard row to hoe. heck, thats if you even make it into adulthood to use that 'smart' stat.
I do think you must be born into a wealthy, secure democracy. There might well be a Great North Korean novel that would stun the world, but if so, us readers are unlikely to ever see it.