Would you rather be born..

Which one of these traits would you rather be born with..

• Total voters

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Rembrandt

Van Gogh

Nick Kroll

Taylor Swift

Lady Gaga

Ariana Grande

Kate Mara

Julia Louis-Dreyfus

Paul Giamatti

Edward Norton

shall I go on?

I contend any emotion or circumstance is worthy of creating art.

How do you explain artists who created their masterpieces after their rise, wealth and/or fame?

Such as H.R.Giger, Dali, Jim Lee... I could list these for years and not reach the end of the list.

Certainly your journey in life has influence on your work, medium and subject matter - but to say the that in order to make good art you have to suffer is a myth.

"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible." - Albert Hitchcock

That's who suffers.
I'm not so sure...

Look at why rap and hip-hop is so popular among young people in Russia. In big part, because it is anti-establishment protest music over there.

Because a dude like Dmitry Kuznetsov, aka "Husky" is willing, after authorities in the city of Krasnodar shut down the venue where he was to perform, to climb on top of a fucking car and do an impromptu illegal concert for all his fans, right on the street

get hauled away by the cops for that

and then spend a month in jail, for his art...

It makes guys like him heroes to plenty youths over there.

And I don't even like his shit, honestly, I think most of his stuff is stupid as hell lol

But, yeah, the more the authorities try to censor and suppress the rappers, the more popular they become.

The same way it was with rockers like Viktor Tsoi back in the 80s
Those guys had to perform underground, in basements, parking complexes, abandoned factories, you name it. Plenty got arrested and spent time in GULags. And they all became superstars anyhow. By the time Gorbachev enacted his Glasnost and eased up on censorship of music, guys like Tsoi were household names...

Same with the rappers now. The successive regimes over there learn nothing from history...

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm guessing my definition of rich is different than yours. Mine is financial security and I'm most of the way there actually. House is paid off, no car payments, and just utilities, insurance, and food to consider. And I have no debt on my credit card. But I do see your point.

And my idea of enjoyment is to make money on my businesses, which I do albeit at times I am putting more into them in the short run to make long term gains.

Have you heard the new rich is no debt?
I love that definition! But I was referring to the 0.01% when I posted.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
White is the things.
Not for Germans under the Third Reich or the Russians...ever. :)

Lucky. Good luck beats all things.
Agreed, but that is such an abstract idea, it's not really practical in the scheme of things. Remember those tests listing four things and asking which one doesn't fit? Luck, compared to the other categories listed, is the odd one.

I chose "Top Ten Country". Being born "rich" is relative. Saddam Hussein's sons were "born rich". Being smart is good, but being smart and stuck in a Third World Shithole like North Korea or under something like the Khmer Rouge is just a quick way to end up dead in a horrible, painful way. Gender and race are becoming increasingly irrelevant in Top Ten countries.

Top Ten countries offer the best way for anyone and everyone to maximize their abilities and make a good life for themselves. In the US even our "poor" have homes with indoor toilets, safe drinking water and opportunities to better themselves.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Agreed, but that is such an abstract idea, it's not really practical in the scheme of things. Remember those tests listing four things and asking which one doesn't fit? Luck, compared to the other categories listed, is the odd one.

I'm very lucky when it comes to finding parking spaces. It's pretty uncanny, actually, and living in NYC, is definitely a gift of sorts.

All considered, however, I still think it's better to have been born rich and be able to take limos.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
I'm very lucky when it comes to finding parking spaces. It's pretty uncanny, actually, and living in NYC, is definitely a gift of sorts.

All considered, however, I still think it's better to have been born rich and be able to take limos.
Uday and Qusay Hussein lived great lives; born rich, lots of limos, everything they could ever want including rape rooms but both were cut down before they were 40...and deservedly so. Being "born rich" isn't a cure-all to happiness.

Now look at the Trumps. How do you think Junior, Eric and Ivanka will end up? Trump himself? At least he's over 70. He could stroke out in the Oval Office tonight and die happy.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida

I chose "Top Ten Country". Being born "rich" is relative. Saddam Hussein's sons were "born rich". Being smart is good, but being smart and stuck in a Third World Shithole like North Korea or under something like the Khmer Rouge is just a quick way to end up dead in a horrible, painful way. Gender and race are becoming increasingly irrelevant in Top Ten countries.

Top Ten countries offer the best way for anyone and everyone to maximize their abilities and make a good life for themselves. In the US even our "poor" have homes with indoor toilets, safe drinking water and opportunities to better themselves.
Uday and Qusay Hussein lived great lives; born rich, lots of limos, everything they could ever want including rape rooms but both were cut down before they were 40...and deservedly so. Being "born rich" isn't a cure-all to happiness.

Now look at the Trumps. How do you think Junior, Eric and Ivanka will end up? Trump himself? At least he's over 70. He could stroke out in the Oval Office tonight and die happy.
Hmm you making a good argument for choosing being born in a top ten country. :think: I might just click on the 'change vote' button and change being born rich.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.

Which is why he'll never accept a deal to resign, IMO. He knows if he manages to get re-elected, that will be the way he exits.

As for Uday, Qusay, et al....That's the wrong kind of rich. I would be the Rockefeller- or Buffet-kind of born rich.

Or, if that wasn't possible, at least the Kings Point-type.