Yes, Democrats Should Impeach Trump—and Make Mitch McConnell Defend His Acquittal

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
The crowd that wants to impeach Trump has wanted to from day one. I am not part of that quest. It would just be a partisan show and Trump would probably be in a stronger position. Besides the fact that it violates the intent of the constitution, it is a bad move strategically as well. You know in advance that the votes are not there to remove Trump so it will just be a dog and pony show that won’t make the Democrats look good.
No. I did NOT want to impeach him from day one. I resigned myself to this fucking idiot being the president. The dog and pony show is the Trump administration and people like you accepting it as though it's perfectly normal. Which it is not. Take your blinders off. Wake up.

May 2012
By the wall
Under DOJ regulations, he couldn't do that. You're so dense. Purposely, I would hope. Otherwise, it doesn't say anything good about you.
Sure he could.

He could have presented evidence he found that showed guilt.

All he couldn't do was prosecute.

Tell me what DOJ rule says he can't present his evidence to congress.

Isn't that what his job was?

He could have easily said that this report concludes the president committed a crime but as we are unable to prosecute we will leave that to congress and the DOJ.

He didn't.

May 2007
your place
No. I did NOT want to impeach him from day one. I resigned myself to this fucking idiot being the president. The dog and pony show is the Trump administration and people like you accepting it as though it's perfectly normal. Which it is not. Take your blinders off. Wake up.

Seems like you have it backwards. Except for the small percentage of people yammering for impeachment, according to you the rest of the world has “blinders”. That’s kind of out there.

If you don’t get it that Nancy Pelosi is right to not push for impeachment, then it doesn’t seem like you are going to be open minded to the big picture fact that it is stupid to keep beating the impeachment drum that Trump haters have been beating since election night.

Mar 2019
California
Seems like you have it backwards. Except for the small percentage of people yammering for impeachment, according to you the rest of the world has “blinders”. That’s kind of out there.

If you don’t get it that Nancy Pelosi is right to not push for impeachment, then it doesn’t seem like you are going to be open minded to the big picture fact that it is stupid to keep beating the impeachment drum that Trump haters have been beating since election night.
McConnell won't even bring it to the floor.

May 2007
your place
Stormy Daniels was going to bring Trump down. Then it was the Mueller report. Then it was Mueller’s testimony. None of that lead to impeachment. The common theme is an ongoing quest for a reason to impeach. That isn’t how it is supposed to work. It was stupid and hypocritical for the republicans to try and impeach Bill Clinton and it would be just a stupid for the Democrats to try it now.

Jul 2007
So. Md.
Sure he could.

He could have presented evidence he found that showed guilt.

All he couldn't do was prosecute.

Tell me what DOJ rule says he can't present his evidence to congress.

Isn't that what his job was?

He could have easily said that this report concludes the president committed a crime but as we are unable to prosecute we will leave that to congress and the DOJ.

He didn't.
I've gone all through this before. Mueller said it wouldn't be fair to accuse him of any crime because he couldn't take him to court where he could defend himself. This is directly form h Mueller's statement on May 29.

And beyond department policy, we were guided by principles of fairness. It would be unfair to potentially — it would be unfair to potentially accuse somebody of a crime when there can be no court resolution of the actual charge.

So that was Justice Department policy. Those were the principles under which we operated. And from them, we concluded that we would not reach a determination one way or the other about whether the president committed a crime. That is the office's final position and we will not comment on any other conclusions or hypotheticals about the president.
Full transcript: Robert Mueller’s statement on the Russia investigation

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. As usual.

Jul 2007
So. Md.
Stormy Daniels was going to bring Trump down. Then it was the Mueller report. Then it was Mueller’s testimony. None of that lead to impeachment. The common theme is an ongoing quest for a reason to impeach. That isn’t how it is supposed to work. It was stupid and hypocritical for the republicans to try and impeach Bill Clinton and it would be just a stupid for the Democrats to try it now.
You have no idea what I think. You're just assuming. I thought Trump would win the election. I never thought Stormy Daniels would bring him down. Although, that's another of his criminal actions, paying her off to keep her quiet during the campaign. I think the Mueller report should lead to impeachment because Mueller clearly lays out Trump's obstruction of justice. (BTW, have you read it? Do you know what it actually says? I don't think you do.)That is exactly how it's supposed to work. And comparing what Clinton did to all of the criminal activities of Trump is ridiculous. It would be morally wrong for the Dems not to impeach him.

Jul 2007
So. Md.
McConnell won't even bring it to the floor.
The House impeaches. McConnell has nothing to do with impeachment. (What are you doing on a political forum if you don't know the basics?) And if you actually read the piece I linked to in the OP you'd know that the point isn't whether the Senate convicts his criminal ass. He'll have the stain of impeachment. It's one big reason Al Gore lost. Bush ran on returning honor and dignity to the White House. The Dem candidate in the next election would be able to do the same.