Yet Another Arrest For Bad Thoughts

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
He was arrested for illegal possesion of a firearm.

Not bad thoughts.

And, I believe his bad thoughts will remain just that unless the AG can prove he had access to act upon them and intention to act upon them.

Then it's another story.
At the very least this guy needs to be held for a physc evaluation to determine if he is a threat to himself or others.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Sure. But he wasn't charged with any crime related to his military service.

I have another question. He had Top Secret clearance. (Really? This is a thing the Coast Guard needs?)

Anyway, don't such people get vetted every now and again? Lie detector tests, financial review, etc.? He was writing anti-government screeds on Stormfront, FFS! For about a decade or more!

Why the fuck didn't the NSA or whichever agency catch on to this man's treasonous ideas?
With all due respect, I suspect you are not familiar with the UCMJ. They can always lock you up for violation of Article 134 which is basically a catch all that means anything that pisses us off that is not covered by the first 133 Articles.

Jan 2016
Colorado
This is unAmerican. Repugnant as this man's ideas are, he is entitled to hold them and communicate them.

I myself have a passing interest in the Unabomber's manifesto. I haven't yet found it online, but if I did, I would read it.

Because I'm interested in the linguistic forensics used to identify him, not because I want to kill anyone.

What say you?
Here is the Unabomber's Manifesto for you, Madeline:

http://editions-hache.com/essais/pdf/kaczynski2.pdf

The very first sentence: The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

The very first sentence is highly dubious.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I think it has to do with if they also have the means.

Like someone cliams they're gonna blow up a building and the authorities find bomb making material.

That's not an analogous hypothetical. It's illegal for virtually anyone to store bomb-making materials in their home. It's not illegal to store guns, no matter how many.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Have already been all over this story

The recent arrest of Coast Guard Lt. Christopher Hasson, a former Marine who investigators say was a longtime white nationalist, has lawmakers worried that military leaders may not be adequately tracking white supremacy issues within the ranks.

Hasson was arrested on Feb. 15 on drug and firearms charges, but investigators allege he was planning an attack against political and media targets.

The Twitter handle @Jacobite_Edward, allegedly run by Lance Cpl. Mason Mead, a Marine with 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines, based out of Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, included scores of Nazi propaganda and even depicted military explosives placed in the shape of a swastika.

The Corps has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to Marines actively participating in hate groups — a policy recently updated and codified in its Prohibited Activities and Conduct Prevention and Response Policy, also known as the PAC order.

In July 2018, Lance Cpl. Vasillios G. Pistolis was booted from the Corps following an explosive story from ProPublica detailing his alleged connections to a neo-Nazi organization known as Atomwaffen Division.

Another Marine is being investigated for neo-Nazi ties amid military concerns about white supremacy