Yet Another Arrest For "Thinking Bad Thoughts"

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
The problem is once you start prosecuting somone for simply whats in thier heads, and only in thier heads, then you are into 1984 Thought Crime and Minority Report territory, and one step from fascism. The right to freedom of thought and expression doesnt include, unfortunately, stopping what other people think.
Problem is, such "thoughts" DO lead to actions: 'Cannibal Couple' in Russia May Have Killed up to 30 People

I'd prefer such people to be stopped in advance, BEFORE they take someone's life, personally.

Nov 2018
UK/Spain
Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
As far as I am concerned, I don't want anyone "fantasizing" about such crap living next to me and my family. Fuck his rights... My wife and my children deserve to be safe.

WTF is wrong with you, Madeline???
What???

I agree with Maddie that we should not be "thought police."

It's a waste of resources if nothing else. Please arrest and convict people who have actually committed crimes. Instead, we overreact to the stupidest shit imaginable.

Do you talk to women like this on the street? I hope not.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
They do, but only in a small number of cases, and you have no way to know which one person in 1000 is the one. You really going to jail 999 innocent people who are no threat ? You are talking fascism, mate.
What???

I agree with Maddie that we should not be "thought police."

It's a waste of resources if nothing else. Please arrest and convict people who have actually committed crimes. Instead, we overreact to the stupidest shit imaginable.

Do you talk to women like this on the street? I hope not.
I just think lots of lives cold be saved, if potential murderers could be isolated from society, based on clear clues of their intentions that many of them give out, BEFORE they actually go through with it...

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
I just think lots of lives cold be saved, if potential murderers could be isolated from society, based on clear clues of their intentions that many of them give out, BEFORE they actually go through with it...
No, arrest and convict ONLY if they were planning to carry out something. Otherwise, it's not even a crime. Arrest criminals, not crazy people.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
As far as I am concerned, I don't want anyone "fantasizing" about such crap living next to me and my family. Fuck his rights... My wife and my children deserve to be safe.

WTF is wrong with you, Madeline???
I am older and less surprised by the operation of other people's minds as regards sex. I think you'd be appalled, and eventually maybe comforted, to know the USUAL case is most people have had sexual fantasies about most deviant behavior you and I have ever heard of.

What someone like Ted Bundy might have fantasized about probably doesn't bear repeating, but still. THOUGHTS alone do not make anyone a bad person.

"Disturbing" sexual fantasies do not make anyone dangerous, or even abnormal.

In human adults, almost all the danger comes from social pressure internalized by the adult to the point, they try to repress their own sexual fantasies.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

We don't have the science yet to reliably identify future serial killers. And when we DO identify a killer kid, we are VERY conflicted about declaring that person a threat in need to confinement for LIFE.

I would support an annual "look in every basement" day, because I think there are likely HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of missing people in America who are being held against their will. But our constitution, at present, doesn't seem to allow for that.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Even PLANNING is not enough to support an arrest, unless they take AT LEAST ONE concrete step to carry the plan out.
I just read of a woman in Russia who was arrested while trying to hire a hitman to kill her own husband (long story, basically, he cheated on her; she wanted the hitman to kill both him and the other woman). Fortunately, police learned of it all in advance, and sent an undercover guy to pose as the hitman and she brought him a big sum in cash to pay him with, and was arrested, at that point.

Far from an uncommon occurrence over there either... lol

Not that funny, really, given that, actually, only a small fraction of such cases are caught by the authorities ahead of time, before someone actually dies...