Yet another UK general election

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
In 2011, the British parliament passed the fixed terms Parliament Act, intended to promote stability by having legislative elections on a consistent schedule, once every five years. 8 years later, we're about to have our third election since, so that didn't quite work out. Thought the election needed a thread.

I'm a bit unsure how to vote for this one. As always, my vote is essentially irrelevant, the seat where I can vote has not changed hands since 1964 and last time the winning candidate got almost ten times as many votes as the second place.

It's hard to get too motivated about voting under these conditions, but I suppose I should tick a box so my negligible contribution to the symbolic national vote tally is registered. But then what symbol do I want to send?

I've almost got my fingers crossed for a single issue protest party to announce a candidate. At least a vote for the Legalise Cannabis Alliance is a clear and unequivocal message. But it looks like my only options are liable to be Labour, Tory, Lib Dem or Green.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
What happened that you guys got kinda dysfunctional, electorally speaking?

Reactions: Davocrat
Mar 2010
Indiana
Was on a tourist train in Canada a few months ago. There was a Brit on the train from London. I asked him what in the hell was going in the UK with Brexit and all. He suggested we not talk politics as we didn't know the politics of everyone within sitting distance and the U.S. sure was't any more functional. I agreed!

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Was on a tourist train in Canada a few months ago. There was a Brit on the train from London. I asked him what in the hell was going in the UK with Brexit and all. He suggested we not talk politics as we didn't know the politics of everyone within sitting distance and the U.S. sure was't any more functional. I agreed!
That's a very good point.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
What happened that you guys got kinda dysfunctional, electorally speaking?
In what sense? Do you mean why have we had these elections in quick succession?

If so, the last early election was called because the government was being opportunistic, and thought the timing would be beneficial to them. This is what the fixed terms rules were supposed to prevent, but they were able to call the early election in this case because the opposition all agreed. They also thought they stood to gain from an early election, and in Labour's case turned out to have understood things better than the government.

That, of course, produced a minority government, whose numbers only shrank due to divisions over Brexit. The current commons is too divided over Brexit and other issues for any government to command majority support, back to the polls we go.

Nov 2015
UK
In 2011, the British parliament passed the fixed terms Parliament Act, intended to promote stability by having legislative elections on a consistent schedule, once every five years. 8 years later, we're about to have our third election since, so that didn't quite work out. Thought the election needed a thread.

I'm a bit unsure how to vote for this one. As always, my vote is essentially irrelevant, the seat where I can vote has not changed hands since 1964 and last time the winning candidate got almost ten times as many votes as the second place.

It's hard to get too motivated about voting under these conditions, but I suppose I should tick a box so my negligible contribution to the symbolic national vote tally is registered. But then what symbol do I want to send?

I've almost got my fingers crossed for a single issue protest party to announce a candidate. At least a vote for the Legalise Cannabis Alliance is a clear and unequivocal message. But it looks like my only options are liable to be Labour, Tory, Lib Dem or Green.
Ignore what they say, what they promise. I just ignore the news and will vote Conservative again. If Farage wasn't so spineless, I would have voted Brexit party. No offence, but anyone voting Labour must be off their trolley.

Forget lib Dems, cloud cuckoo land party.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Ignore what they say, what they promise. I just ignore the news and will vote Conservative again. If Farage wasn't so spineless, I would have voted Brexit party. No offence, but anyone voting Labour must be off their trolley.

Forget lib Dems, cloud cuckoo land party.
The libs would do better without Corbyn. He has so many thinking he is anti Semitic that they just cant support him. I think if he were replaced they might win.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
The libs would do better without Corbyn. He has so many thinking he is anti Semitic that they just cant support him. I think if he were replaced they might win.

Corbyn is the leader of Labour, not the Lib Dems.

I don't really think accusations of anti-Semitism will play a significant role in the election. Media obsessions do not always closely align with what's going through the mind of the average voter.

Reactions: bajisima

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Corbyn is the leader of Labour, not the Lib Dems.

I don't really think accusations of anti-Semitism will play a significant role in the election. Media obsessions do not always closely align with what's going through the mind of the average voter.
I think this is correct, but there is no question that in the current environment, the Tories prefer Corbyn as the leader of the opposition over any possible alternatives.

And yet whenever anyone makes that kind of argument within Labour, they get shouted down, if not tarred and feathered.

Reactions: bajisima
Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Corbyn is an ineffectual tool, but he's fought racism and antisemitism all his life. He also supports the Palestinian cause for a two state solution. The people tarring him with the AS brush are the Labour right, and the Conservatives, who have a much bigger problem in that department themselves, and let's not mention Islamophobia. That's not to say Labour doesn't have any such problems, but it's been taken up by Britain's rightwing media as a stick with which to beat him.