You’re Morally Obligated to Call Out Your Racist Relatives at Thanksgiving

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS

Writing for the Denver Post, attorney/columnist Doug Friednash warns against “tribal discord” as the country becomes increasingly polarized, and argues that a little dose of politeness is all that’s needed to heal the wounds that divide our country. “Thanksgiving dinner chatter can become risky business,” Friednash writes. “But it doesn’t need to be. We need to listen harder to what people are saying. People that disagree with how we see the world may be our opponents, but they need not be our enemies. They can be our frenemies.”
That assessment is, frankly, a steaming pile of bullshit. And so are the countless other missives on the place of civility in our current political climate, largely written by white men who will never risk the revocation of their citizenship or bodily autonomy. Even though Democrats made strides in the 2018 midterm elections, many among us are still terrified of the impact that this overtly nationalist, deeply dysfunctional administration will have on people in this country and beyond. There is no amount of civility that can balance the harm of xenophobic nationalism, and no amount of sitting silently while listening to someone spew racial epithets that will repair what Trump and his ilk have broken. Being progressive doesn’t just mean clicking “like” on left-leaning Facebook statuses. It requires a commitment to pursuing justice, even when it’s your weird uncle, even when it’s uncomfortable, and especially when there are other people in the room who you care about.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blah blah blah... I agree with the title and the concept, I don't have to worry because I don't break bread with racists, nor do I allow them in my presence. Do you have racists at your thanksgiving? do you call them out?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

Writing for the Denver Post, attorney/columnist Doug Friednash warns against “tribal discord” as the country becomes increasingly polarized, and argues that a little dose of politeness is all that’s needed to heal the wounds that divide our country. “Thanksgiving dinner chatter can become risky business,” Friednash writes. “But it doesn’t need to be. We need to listen harder to what people are saying. People that disagree with how we see the world may be our opponents, but they need not be our enemies. They can be our frenemies.”
That assessment is, frankly, a steaming pile of bullshit. And so are the countless other missives on the place of civility in our current political climate, largely written by white men who will never risk the revocation of their citizenship or bodily autonomy. Even though Democrats made strides in the 2018 midterm elections, many among us are still terrified of the impact that this overtly nationalist, deeply dysfunctional administration will have on people in this country and beyond. There is no amount of civility that can balance the harm of xenophobic nationalism, and no amount of sitting silently while listening to someone spew racial epithets that will repair what Trump and his ilk have broken. Being progressive doesn’t just mean clicking “like” on left-leaning Facebook statuses. It requires a commitment to pursuing justice, even when it’s your weird uncle, even when it’s uncomfortable, and especially when there are other people in the room who you care about.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blah blah blah... I agree with the title and the concept, I don't have to worry because I don't break bread with racists, nor do I allow them in my presence. Do you have racists at your thanksgiving? do you call them out?
Most of my relatives and former in-laws were racists. Most kept that crazy shit tucked in around me and my kid most of the time, and as a result, she had extended family of some value.

Plus, between Trump and the epidemic of dementia running rampant among Boomers, young parents now are facing more vile, shouty abuse from their elders than I did.

I don't think there's a one size fits all ethical position to be had here. Estranging oneself and one's young children from extended family is a step most people feel deserves considered thought.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Problem with this is that there are people who think that any disagreement with them is racism. The only way to satisfy them is to completely agree with them. Why are these idiots so hell bent on ruining Thanksgiving dinners?
My in-laws were even more annoying as to the ridiculousness of child safety improvements I insisted upon, like vaccines and child car seats.

They were a fun bunch.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Problem with this is that there are people who think that any disagreement with them is racism. The only way to satisfy them is to completely agree with them. Why are these idiots so hell bent on ruining Thanksgiving dinners?

True, I am talking about the obvious ones that you or I or anyone rational would clearly take issue with. Not "microagressions" of having more mashed potatoes than stuffing.

Reactions: Madeline

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Most of my relatives and former in-laws were racists. Most kept that crazy shit tucked in around me and my kid most of the time, and as a result, she had extended family of some value.

Plus, between Trump and the epidemic of dementia running rampant among Boomers, young parents now are facing more vile, shouty abuse from their elders than I did.

I don't think there's a one size fits all ethical position to be had here. Estranging oneself and one's young children from extended family is a step most people feel deserves considered thought.

Wouldn't fly in my home..

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Why are you worried about "satisfying" every single human being on any issue? And why would it ruin a good dinner? Are they holding you captive or can't you cook?