You’re Morally Obligated to Call Out Your Racist Relatives at Thanksgiving

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Orientals?

It's not racist.... It's just..... Super old.

Like.... 1800s.

LOL. It only seems that way. I remember hearing my grandparents use that term in the 1960s. It wasn't said in a derogatory fashion, as I recall, but rather like "Asians" is used today. Same with the term "colored people."

Times, terms and mores change.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Really, last time when Clinton called all Republicans deplorables, that only hurt the cause. Best case, it's lazy and ignorant to dumb things down to where it's "Republican = racist" or whatever kind of attack to smear a large swath of the population. Especially at a time where political discourse is as heated as it is, and when the results coming up will depend on who can attract more moderates to their side.

Hating the other is only going to push them away while we need to be attracting them in.
Oh,get over it.

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
The point wasn't my feelings, it was the results.

The point of elections is to win votes, strategically, insulting opposition is strategically stupid. It makes a poor demonstration of character by showing that when the tension runs high they go into fight mode (I suppose a good idea if your money is in weaponry).

Also, it is polarizing. Those people who consider themselves right wing but might be swayed will be turned off at the label.

Are all your political decisions formed on the basis of emotion?

Bullshit. Those so-called people wouldn't have voted for her, regardless.

That said....she ran the most awful campaign in recent memory, and she still won the popular vote by 2.8 million votes. If she actually put a bit more effort into it, she probably would have won the EC, too. On second thought, maybe not. Because you know....Trump's "patron."

Oct 2019
Earth
Bullshit. Those so-called people wouldn't have voted for her, regardless.

That said....she ran the most awful campaign in recent memory, and she still won the popular vote by 2.8 million votes. If she actually put a bit more effort into it, she probably would have won the EC, too. On second thought, maybe not. Because you know....Trump's "patron."
Trumps patron?

Anyway, that the DNC chose a candidate so polarizing is ultimately their call. I felt like Bernie had better ability to reach across the aisle, even though he's also fairly extreme.

Most on the left or right put little to no thought into their vote; that's why it boils down to which side can get more people to physically show up while trying to bring people who might vote the other way to your own side.

Most elections that resentment lasts a few weeks or so and then becomes omic relief. That resentment is still present for this POTUS.

The freaking out doesnt help anything and may make things worse.

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN
You’re Morally Obligated to Call Out Your Racist Relatives at Thanksgiving

Writing for the Denver Post, attorney/columnist Doug Friednash warns against “tribal discord” as the country becomes increasingly polarized, and argues that a little dose of politeness is all that’s needed to heal the wounds that divide our country. “Thanksgiving dinner chatter can become risky business,” Friednash writes. “But it doesn’t need to be. We need to listen harder to what people are saying. People that disagree with how we see the world may be our opponents, but they need not be our enemies. They can be our frenemies.”
That assessment is, frankly, a steaming pile of bullshit. And so are the countless other missives on the place of civility in our current political climate, largely written by white men who will never risk the revocation of their citizenship or bodily autonomy. Even though Democrats made strides in the 2018 midterm elections, many among us are still terrified of the impact that this overtly nationalist, deeply dysfunctional administration will have on people in this country and beyond. There is no amount of civility that can balance the harm of xenophobic nationalism, and no amount of sitting silently while listening to someone spew racial epithets that will repair what Trump and his ilk have broken. Being progressive doesn’t just mean clicking “like” on left-leaning Facebook statuses. It requires a commitment to pursuing justice, even when it’s your weird uncle, even when it’s uncomfortable, and especially when there are other people in the room who you care about.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blah blah blah... I agree with the title and the concept, I don't have to worry because I don't break bread with racists, nor do I allow them in my presence. Do you have racists at your thanksgiving? do you call them out?
Yes as my grandfather said, there is nothing more racist than a liberal, They smile to your face, then they stab you in the back, with their left handed racism. Liberals have convenced many minorities "you are too stupid to make it on your own, with out the elitist stand on your chest and pull on your arms saying they are there to help you up.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I am happy to report...I did not have any assholes or racists over for dinner today. :) For that I am thankful...that would be a buzz killer. LOL
Yeah indeed. We are a part of PH, which has their own fair share of Buzz Killingtons. No need for them in our homes.

They actually think we celebrate Thanksgiving because Native Americans died so we can have Outlet stores and malls - while at the same time enjoying such.

Oct 2013
USA
Thankfully my relatives are not pompous assholes so no problem. I can't tolerate ignorance like racism or someone thinking they have the high ground as they insult the people around them or pronounce whatever dumb ass thing runs through their little Trump brains so it is good that my relatives are normal. Hope all had a Happy Thanksgiving as no one here is a racist as long as they pretend the victims of racism are the racists. Bless your sweet little hearts.

Oct 2019
Earth
Get over being called a "deplorable."

It ain't the end of the world.
Wow...

I'm telling you that Democrats need to not make the same mistakes as last time or to expect the results as last time and why.

Analogy time.
You smack yourself in the face with a brick and are sitting there dumbfounded why your face hurts.

I come in and tell you that it wouldn't hurt so bad if you stopped smashing your face with bricks.

To which your response is not one of contemplating the advice to maybe realize that smashing bricks in the face is not a good idea. No, you try telling me to get over the fact that you like to smash bricks in your own face and complain about the pain.

Yes, as stupid as the analogy sounds, that's your approach.

How many maga hats did you buy? You might as well start campaigning for Trump because this type of attitude is going to guarantee a president Trump until 2024. Why? It's people like you that will push any potential Democrat support right into Trumps hands.

Are you one of those Russian bots that got Trump elected? If not, why act like one?