You can rape with impunity...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
...as long as you are in international waters, apparently:

An Italian teenager accused of raping a 17-year-old British girl on a European cruise has walked free on a legal technicality because the alleged attack occurred in international waters.

The victim, who was travelling with her parents, reportedly told Spanish police that her attacker forced her into his cabin before raping her on Thursday as the MSC Divina cruise ship made its way to Valencia in Spain from the Mallorcan capital of Palma.

The suspect, an 18-year-old who is understood to live in Italy, was arrested by police the following day on the vessel, which is registered in Panama.

However, he was later freed by a duty court in the city after the judge concluded he did not have jurisdiction to probe the alleged crime because it was committed by a foreigner on another foreigner in international waters and on Panamanian territory.

The release has been linked to Spain’s legal reforms of the doctrine of universal jurisdiction.
Much more: Italian teenager accused of raping British girl on cruise in international waters walks free on legal technicality

That's fucked up... It's ok to rape fellow passengers on cruise ships, apparently, as long as you are in neutral waters... How about on a plane, in international airspace?

WTF...

Dec 2018
Florida
Jul 2011
Toronto
My personal opinion is that a cruise ship should be considered part of the soil of the country where it is registered or the company who owns it is; and people who commit crimes on board such a vessel should he extradited to that country and put on trial under its laws.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Jan 2014
California
...as long as you are in international waters, apparently:

Much more: Italian teenager accused of raping British girl on cruise in international waters walks free on legal technicality

That's fucked up... It's ok to rape fellow passengers on cruise ships, apparently, as long as you are in neutral waters... How about on a plane, in international airspace?

WTF...
Mr. Man,

Funny you should ask that:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Conviction-overturned-She-slapped-him-on-an-13761344.php

Jul 2011
Toronto
What a mess...

With planes, it's different from country to country, I think. In Russia, I believe, for domestic flights, they don't care about which region you were geographically over, when did whatever you did, it's seen as a waste of time to try to determine that. Just arrest you at your destination and charge and prosecute you there and then...

Not sure about here in Canada. I think Quebec probably differs from the rest of the country, at least...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
... with cement overshoes.
A common brutal punishment practised centuries ago in Russia involved driving a hook through one of a dude's ribs and hanging him up like that, to slowly bleed to death in horrific agony

This was performed upon high way robbers; peasant serfs who rebelled and took up arms against their aristocrat landlords; military deserters (and insubordinates, in some extreme cases); and, yes, some communities also punished rapists that way too (mostly - men of lower social class who dared put their hands on an aristocratic woman; rape and sexual assaults on female serfs and other peasant woman were, sadly, often unpunished, especially in cases of higher class men abusing their authority to force their serf women into relations with them).

That seems like a great punishment for such scum, though, to me :D