Young man steps up to stop hate crime

Jun 2006
Vancouver
A little local story to warm your chestnuts.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/3934657/hero-who-thwarted-racist-canada-line-attack-recieves-best-christmas-gift-ever/amp/

When a Muslim teen was verbally, physically and then sexually assaulted by a total stranger on the Vancouver sky train, local hoser “Jake” stepped up and helped her out. While the rest of the people around did absolutely nothing.

So a local Muslim organization, and the Vancouver Canucks, got together to share the story and give him his due.

My favourite part of this is how he looks, talks, and moves like a Waynes World character on a coke binge, and how apparently Muslim teenaged girls from Vancouver talk like New York Jews.

Anyway - to our rural members here on PH. See the hug and nuzzle in the videos? This is why refugees and immigrants and tabloid web blogs and “real life facts about the world” don’t scare us in big cities.

We know better. From first hand experience.

Reactions: 7 people

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Read about that before. Posted about it, actually: http://politicalhotwire.com/current-events/184056-racist-scum-arrested.html

I commend him. I would do the same, in his place. And would have sent that prick to tje emergency room unconscious on a stretcher if he was actually stupid enough to try anything...

But, it is sad, to me, that he is the only one, out of probably quite a full SkyTrain car, to step up... Too many people just cowardly "mind own business", these days.

Just like in Russia... Well, Russia is a fucked up place with lots of problems. Nobody trusts each other, often with good reason...

But, what's our excuse, here in Canada? We love talking about our tolerance and multiculturalism and all that. But, how many actually willing to defend these values, push comes to shove?

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2006
Vancouver
Yeah I was also surprised by his description of others just using their phones.

I’ve sat by quietly while drunk couples hurled abuse at each other in public, and she said he was using Arabic words so probably no one understood the death threats, but a guy going up to a girl and slapping her, then shoving her face into his crotch? That doesn’t look like a lovers quarrel.

That’s shameful.

Also I noticed he “had no criminal record but was known to police” - which from my job and knowledge of BC courts I understand to probably mean “he does this constantly, maybe 100 times, is regularly caught on video, has witnesses and victims agree to testify, gets arrested weekly, confesses, has several drug addictions and crippling mental health problems, police spend hours and hours building cases with slam dunk evidence, but Crown won’t ever lay charges”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Yeah I was also surprised by his description of others just using their phones.

I’ve sat by quietly while drunk couples hurled abuse at each other in public, and she said he was using Arabic words so probably no one understood the death threats, but a guy going up to a girl and slapping her, then shoving her face into his crotch? That doesn’t look like a lovers quarrel.

That’s shameful.

Also I noticed he “had no criminal record but was known to police” - which from my job and knowledge of BC courts I understand to probably mean “he does this constantly, maybe 100 times, is regularly caught on video, has witnesses and victims agree to testify, gets arrested weekly, confesses, has several drug addictions and crippling mental health problems, police spend hours and hours building cases with slam dunk evidence, but Crown won’t ever lay charges”.
I have read before that BC's courts are overwhelmed with too many cases, creating big delays and backlogs: Verdict on court backlogs in B.C.: Delays are getting worse

Though, that was back in 2012. Maybe things improved since then...

Inexcusable, either way. Dude like that simply should not be out in public...

Sep 2016
My own world
I have one question. Why would the man say, go back to her country and that he would kill all Muslims, as he grabbed her head, pulled it into his crotch and attempted to pull off her hijab.? ” Is it possible that he spoke Arabic due to his Arab Christian heritage? Not all Arabs are Muslim.

The Arabs are not a pure ethnic group, the term really refers to Arabic-speaking peoples. While some of them are ethnically Semitic, others are not, and religion isn't necessarily tied to ethnicity.

Not all Arabs are Muslims. A small percentage of Israeli, Syrian, Jordanian, Lebanese and Egyptian Arabs are Christian.

Oct 2017
south area
I have one question. Why would the man say, go back to her country and that he would kill all Muslims, as he grabbed her head, pulled it into his crotch and attempted to pull off her hijab.? ” Is it possible that he spoke Arabic due to his Arab Christian heritage? Not all Arabs are Muslim.

The Arabs are not a pure ethnic group, the term really refers to Arabic-speaking peoples. While some of them are ethnically Semitic, others are not, and religion isn't necessarily tied to ethnicity.

Not all Arabs are Muslims. A small percentage of Israeli, Syrian, Jordanian, Lebanese and Egyptian Arabs are Christian.
I don't think he was thinking that deeply about it. He seemed mentally disturbed. I think you're over thinking this

Sep 2016
My own world
I don't think he was thinking that deeply about it. He seemed mentally disturbed. I think you're over thinking this
I agree the man was a nut case but surely he wouldn't say he would kill all Muslims if he too was a muslim. Even for a crazy person that is too crazy. Like an ISIS fighter saying he was going to kill all ISIS, it just does't make sense. IS HAS TO MAKE SENSE TO THE NUTS TOO, OR AT LEAST IN THEIR OWN HEADS, IT HAS TO MAKE SENSE. If not motivated by hatred of Muslims he would be attacking randomly. He would not be connecting it to anything in his head re Muslims and saying so out loud if it were not so.
When someone shows you who they are believe them. That is not over thinking things, that's common sense.

Last edited:
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/3934657/hero-who-thwarted-racist-canada-line-attack-recieves-best-christmas-gift-ever/amp/

When a Muslim teen was verbally, physically and then sexually assaulted by a total stranger on the Vancouver sky train, local hoser “Jake” stepped up and helped her out. While the rest of the people around did absolutely nothing.

So a local Muslim organization, and the Vancouver Canucks, got together to share the story and give him his due.

My favourite part of this is how he looks, talks, and moves like a Waynes World character on a coke binge, and how apparently Muslim teenaged girls from Vancouver talk like New York Jews.

Anyway - to our rural members here on PH. See the hug and nuzzle in the videos? This is why refugees and immigrants and tabloid web blogs and “real life facts about the world” don’t scare us in big cities.

Kudos to Jake. Good story.

Curious to hear more about the perp. The report said he was yelling at the woman in Arabic?? Which struck me as a little weird.

Jan 2014
California

Dr. Knuckles,

We already discussed this. The guy is a psycho homeless guy, and since he spoke Arabic, his is likely, you know, an Arab.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Nice job. It's important to celebrate people, especially young people, doing the right thing and taking a stand. It reassures them to do it again the next time and holds them up as great examples to emulate.

Reactions: 1 person