Your Sources

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
If you don't like to hear / read other people's opinions on the current - or historic - topics.. why are you engaging here at PH ?

Curious.
How are my motives the problem? Answer that and I'll answer your question.

If you think ignoring it is going to make it better, then that is a failed idea.

Nov 2013
NY
How are my motives the problem? Answer that and I'll answer your question.

If you think ignoring it is going to make it better, then that is a failed idea.
Ignoring what ?

Your OP says you're "ignoring" any opinion pieces in the media, wherf possible... yet you engage here at a forum, which is pretty much purely based on opinion..
So I asked how this fits together, it makes me curious, how the opinions here in the forum are something you engage with, and want to exchange yourself with, whereas a - even if biased - opinion from someone with probably good factual knowledge on the matter, you discard as being biased / an opinion only, not objective, and therefore not interested in.
That was my honest question and entry, without any hidden agenda.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Ignoring what ?

Your OP says you're "ignoring" any opinion pieces in the media, wherf possible... yet you engage here at a forum, which is pretty much purely based on opinion..
So I asked how this fits together, it makes me curious, how the opinions here in the forum are something you engage with, and want to exchange yourself with, whereas a - even if biased - opinion from someone with probably good factual knowledge on the matter, you discard as being biased / an opinion only, not objective, and therefore not interested in.
That was my honest question and entry, without any hidden agenda.
So this is about me in your opinion? Okay fair enough but I disagree with you. There is an issue in the way media is presented, it's having an ill effect on the lot of us and it's something that needs to be addressed. There are people in journalism (not reporting) who happen to agree with that.

If you are willing to discuss that, I'll engage but I'm not going into this on a personal level. I hope you understand. It's just immature and missing the point Neo.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
I never said ignore. In fact, this thread is the opposite of ignoring the problem in sources. It's addressing it.

Thinky brain required.

Apr 2012
East coast USA
I must read 4 newspapers a day- not everything, just subjects that I have interest. They all carry same national news so I compare the reporting.

Nov 2013
NY
So this is about me in your opinion? Okay fair enough but I disagree with you. There is an issue in the way media is presented, it's having an ill effect on the lot of us and it's something that needs to be addressed. There are people in journalism (not reporting) who happen to agree with that.

If you are willing to discuss that, I'll engage but I'm not going into this on a personal level. I hope you understand. It's just immature and missing the point Neo.
It's NOT personal..

Your OP:

I don't read most of your sources not because another source like Snopes says so - but because if I read to any degree and see more than just reporting news as is - like opinion, slant, predictions, personal takes, how-I-see-it's, or anything where the reporter is getting personally involved - I immediately feel the need to close the article and read no further.

You're saying that personal takes, opinions, slant , predictions etc.. you feel the need to immediately close and read no further.
And I do NOT question that, or judge that.
I plainly was wondering how getting such "biased" views from a reporter, is different for you than getting them here , at PH, all day long, from the members. That's all, and it's a real, curious interest, not anything else, no "got you", no assigning hypocrisy, or anything like that.

I for one, miss "objective news" in the media as well.. a LOT. And that is why I still read a lot of print media.. yet, I do not close out "Op Ed's" from such publications. Too many news organizations provide biased info as "objective" news, which is bad. But where an opinion is clearly marked as such, I read those, or watch those, just the same as I listen and engage here at PH.. where bias is the norm, on both sides of the aisle.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
I don't read most of your sources not because another source like Snopes says so - but because if I read to any degree and see more than just reporting news as is - like opinion, slant, predictions, personal takes, how-I-see-it's, or anything where the reporter is getting personally involved - I immediately feel the need to close the article and read no further.

Why? Because journalism is reporting facts and I'm not interested in any would-be budget journalist who fancies themselves a super star.

What standards do you have regarding sources? And you can skip the "well it's FOX, duh" stuff, we've heard all that before.
To say you stop being a journalist when you offer analysis or an opinion, goes too far.

I like getting that from people who spend all their hours on a subject.

But, as a measure of pure news, you have a point. The American Press Institute agrees: American Press Institute - Insights, tools and research to advance journalism

I think AP, Reuters, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times and National Public Radio maintain standards of reporting within the guidelines of what the American Press Institute outlines.

Cable news has become old white men and young blond women stretching stories for around-the-clock, often masturbatory coverage. Lately, I've found NBC to do a good job.

Conservatives HATE the New York Times, but there's a reason it's our newspaper of record.