your thoughts on the concept of "fake news".

PH survey on fake news and government censorship.

• Government officials should have broad authority to limit the information of news organizations.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A president should be able to determine what "fake news" is?.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A president shoud refrain from attacking any news agency as "fake news".

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • CNN is "fake news".

• MSNBC is "fake news".

• Fox News is "fake news".

• All news is "fake news".

• It's up to we, the consumers of the news, to determine what "fake news" is.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • other ( please discuss)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • News organizations should have the freedom to publish or broadcast any stories they choose.

• Total voters

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
what's your definition of "fake news"? Is it what ever Trump says it is? Or does it have an actual definition of it's own? What's your opinion of our president presuming to tell American citizen's which news broadcast should be believed? Is it dangerous to our republic , or no big deal? What do you think is our responsibility as consumers of the news? Should we use our own critical thinking skills to determine , for ourselves, what "fake news" is? Should we just believe everything a network says, simply because we agree with it?

Here's a related survey to consider in this discussion ( i pinched some of the questions for this PH survey)
What Thomas Jefferson, Donald Trump and the American people think about freedom of the press

Your thoughts?Fake news is not new, but the American presidential election in 2016 placed the phenomenon squarely onto the international agenda. Manipulation, disinformation, falseness, rumors, conspiracy theories—actions and behaviors that are frequently associated with the term—have existed as long as humans have communicated. Nevertheless, new communication technologies have allowed for new ways to produce, distribute, and consume fake news, which makes it harder to differentiate what information to trust. Fake news has typically been studied along four lines: Characterization, creation, circulation, and countering. How to characterize fake news has been a major concern in the research literature, as the definition of the term is disputed. By differentiating between intention and facticity, researchers have attempted to study different types of false information. Creation concerns the production of fake news, often produced with either a financial, political, or social motivation. The circulation of fake news refers to the different ways false information has been disseminated and amplified, often through communication technologies such as social media and search engines. Lastly, countering fake news addresses the multitude of approaches to detect and combat fake news on different levels, from legal, financial, and technical aspects to individuals’ media and information literacy and new fact-checking services.
Fake News - Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Communication

Last edited:
Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Fake news is when the reporting is so biased that they forego any facts that do not help the desired narrative.

It is dangerous when you have various news outlets that can report on the same event and the only consistent details are the date and the names of the people involved.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Fake news is when the reporting is so biased that they forego any facts that do not help the desired narrative.

It is dangerous when you have various news outlets that can report on the same event and the only consistent details are the date and the names of the people involved.
funny thing is I just watched a press briefing where Trump said the very same thing. Isn't it also dangerous when a country has elected leaders presuming to decide for themselves which news reports it's citizen's should believe? Especially, when that country has citizen's that dutifully go out and repeat what that elected official says? Before Trump appropriated the term "fake news" it meant something completely different. It meant stories that were truly "fake", misinformation, propaganda, etc. Not legitimate news sources like CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC. Bias news is not necessarily "fake news". Editorials are often quite bias.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
funny thing is I just watched a press briefing where Trump said the very same thing. Isn't it also dangerous when a country has elected leaders presuming to decide for themselves which news reports it's citizen's should believe? Especially, when that country has citizen's that dutifully go out and repeat what that elected official says? Before Trump appropriated the term "fake news" it meant something completely different. It meant stories that were truly "fake", misinformation, propaganda, etc. Not legitimate news sources like CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC. Bias news is not necessarily "fake news". Editorials are often quite bias.
I think that's a little strong of a statement to say that Trump is saying which reports are to be believed as much as pointing out ones not to believe.

The meaning hasn't changed... It's just being pointed more appropriately. When I was younger, the media was as dishonest, but would report more honestly. You could take the national news and would get stories that all had the same basic facts and then would provide their interpretation of those facts.

As I've mentioned before, you can read fox, CNN, etc.., the same article about the same event. The ONLY common point that you get in some articles is just the date and the names. To the degree that they can't all be telling the truth.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Fake News exists because perception is realty. It's a mixture of any ingredients; propaganda, false reporting, opinion or preconceived narrative. The concept of how to control the perception of others is a very old trick and it doesn't matter if it's spoken word, bound in a book or fed across the internet directly into your phone, the trick is the same.

Any person, even a President can have their own perspective and voice that. It makes sense for Trump since he already admitted he'd go after people he felt was corrupt. I guess people didn't realize he meant the media too. I don't agree on all counts in his case, but he has a point about them in general. A point we discussed long before he was elected.

Based on the poll, I'd say a President should not have the power to control any sort of media, however. I do not believe that is what Trump is doing. If he wanted to make a control move on media it wouldn't be via Twitter at 2am using his usual 240 snark.

The people do not hold the media accountable across the board. Our perception of every issue is filtered through them and it's the least we could do.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
I'd vote "all news CAN be fake news."

The apparatus is already there to spread any type of news you want.

I'm reporting this from the Moon. (and if you don't believe me, and voice that, it's now up to you to go and find out for certain).

See?

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I think that's a little strong of a statement to say that Trump is saying which reports are to be believed as much as pointing out ones not to believe.

The meaning hasn't changed... It's just being pointed more appropriately. When I was younger, the media was as dishonest, but would report more honestly. You could take the national news and would get stories that all had the same basic facts and then would provide their interpretation of those facts.

As I've mentioned before, you can read fox, CNN, etc.., the same article about the same event. The ONLY common point that you get in some articles is just the date and the names. To the degree that they can't all be telling the truth.
except , that's exactly what Trump is doing. He uses a easily recognized technique of repeating something over and over again. "Fake News" is his mantra that he applies to any reporting that he doesn't like. Why else would he be calling it "fake news" if he's not trying to control which news sources should be believed. He did appropriate the term "fake news". It wasn't around before the 2016 election and it meant something completely different from what he claims it is. I've posted the actual definition.

Now. It's true that all of the major news networks tend to report the same stories. They even tend to report them at the same time. But, that has more to do with ratings and getting their stories from the AP. That doesn't make them "fake news".

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Fake News exists because perception is realty. It's a mixture of any ingredients; propaganda, false reporting, opinion or preconceived narrative. The concept of how to control the perception of others is a very old trick and it doesn't matter if it's spoken word, bound in a book or fed across the internet directly into your phone, the trick is the same.

Any person, even a President can have their own perspective and voice that. It makes sense for Trump since he already admitted he'd go after people he felt was corrupt. I guess people didn't realize he meant the media too. I don't agree on all counts in his case, but he has a point about them in general. A point we discussed long before he was elected.

Based on the poll, I'd say a President should not have the power to control any sort of media, however. I do not believe that is what Trump is doing. If he wanted to make a control move on media it wouldn't be via Twitter at 2am using his usual 240 snark.

The people do not hold the media accountable across the board. Our perception of every issue is filtered through them and it's the least we could do.
we've got the closest thing to state run media we've ever had in this country with Fox News. So, Trump doesn't have to really do anything else. I just saw him on that Judge Pirro show talking about the NYT article that's in the news right now. She was just nodding her head to everything he said. Now, that's "fake news" as far as I'm concerned. The media isn't suppose to just rubber stamp what ever the president says.