your thoughts on the concept of "fake news".

PH survey on fake news and government censorship.

• Government officials should have broad authority to limit the information of news organizations.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A president should be able to determine what "fake news" is?.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A president shoud refrain from attacking any news agency as "fake news".

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • CNN is "fake news".

• MSNBC is "fake news".

• Fox News is "fake news".

• All news is "fake news".

• It's up to we, the consumers of the news, to determine what "fake news" is.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • other ( please discuss)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • News organizations should have the freedom to publish or broadcast any stories they choose.

• Total voters
Nov 2015
UK
Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
The government should elect a body to handle complaints about the media and have the power to impose fines, but I can see the 1st amendment knocking that on the head.
Government would have a difficulty, beyond libel type laws.

Ultimately, with the easy access to information, the best approach is just to have people develop discernment.

It's far too easy for people to build their own echo chambers, where they just get reinforcement. That's not necessarily a bad thing on its own, as long as they remain grounded to facts... the media landscape has devolved to the point where the only reasonable conclusion is that SOMEBODY is lying because not everyone can be telling truths.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I didn't say anything at all about the media reporting what ever they wanted.

You did.

I was referring to the fake news MSM reporting fake news stories about the President and the President not standing silent for it, as G.W. did.
that's funny. I seem to remember Bush having a press secretary that went out and answered questions about the news of the day. In fact, I seem to recall him visiting the WH briefing room answering questions himself. Something Trump refuses to do. You're otherwise all over the place. You're calling MSM "fake news". Just like Trump does. You're taking his side when he says the media is "fake news". But then, you're claiming you're not relying on him to tell you what "fake news" is?

Jun 2014
United States
your thoughts on the concept of "fake news".

Honestly, I don't think about the concept of "fake news". It's just a ridiculous, Trumpian talking point not unlike "alternative facts".

There is objective truth, and there are lies. I'm good with just calling lies lies.